Skip to content

Any NPCs taking advantage of kits?

Has there been any word on whether or not any of the NPCs will take advantage of the newer kits? Seems natural that Kivan would be an archer, for instance.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012
    For reasons that likely have to do with not wanting people to dispute any decisions made on this front (or, more concretely, legal obligations to maintain the original content's integrity), the original NPCs in BG1 will not be using kits but will instead use the same classes they had before.

Neera and Dorn, however, both use kits (Wild Mage and Blackguard respectively), and Rasaad's a monk, so you've got some new-class representation in there. It just won't be in the core group of NPCs, as much as we all (read: me) wish Xan were a Kensai.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    I'm not sure they were able to do that contractually...however, I would wager a great bit of money that Shadowkeeper will be updated to aid in that endeavor, if the NPC's are not modded shortly thereafter anyway.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November 2012
    Kivan would be a Stalker, dammit.

Why would an Archer have an 18/12 Strength. :\
    @Quartz
    Don't you need an 18 Strength to wield a Composite Longbow? I seem to remember having to have an 18 strength...
    edited November 2012
    Aosaw said:

@Quartz
    Don't you need an 18 Strength to wield a Composite Longbow? I seem to remember having to have an 18 strength...

Correct. But seriously, Kivan becoming better with bows and worse with melee (aka: the archer kit) would be a huge turn-off for me. Kivan's greatness is in his versatility, not a lot of people seem to realize that.

That said, on a less opinionated note, they can't give old NPCs kits because of contractual limitations. Of course, we players may mod the game as we wish. ShadowKeeper, NearInfinity (love that one!), and/or BG1 Lvl1 NPCs should all be able to help you, OP.

I'm very happy though that they couldn't give the old NPCs kits. A lot of us have varying opinions on what class/kit a given NPC should be, so it will be cool that we can use our own discretion as individuals. :)
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    Aosaw said:

For reasons that likely have to do with not wanting people to dispute any decisions made on this front (or, more concretely, legal obligations to maintain the original content's integrity), the original NPCs in BG1 will not be using kits but will instead use the same classes they had before.

Won't the NPCs have to be altered anyway to accommodate the new weapon proficiencies?
    edited November 2012

Aosaw said:

Won't the NPCs have to be altered anyway to accommodate the new weapon proficiencies?
    Correct. More reasons why the new weapon proficiency system is going to piss me off hardcore. Watch them make Kivan good with Spears instead of Halberds; and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Does anyone know if NearInfinity in its current state will actually be able to modify BG:EE, or will it need updating? I would love to muck with the proficiencies to my heart's content before even opening the game, personally. :P
    @SharGuidesMyHand
    Yes, but that's a required adjustment based on a change of engine. As a side bonus, they've used the opportunity to slightly modify some NPCs to better suit their personalities (though I won't tell you which ones or how, but suffice to say it's a good change) or to accommodate new restrictions from their classes.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    Quartz said:

Kivan would be a Stalker, dammit.

Why would an Archer have an 18/12 Strength. :\

Some bows require a high strength to equip.

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Kivan should be an archer for sure. I will definitely be modding him to one.
    edited November 2012
    I think I'd go with Stalker as @Quartz said. Archer's a little too "on-the-nose" with Kivan's existing skill set, whereas his personality is definitely more of a "walking through the woods hunting baddies" sort of schtick.

And yes, that did make me think of this sketch:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpZ8EkK3eWY
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    and faldorn should be a shadow druid :/
    some extras for jaheira and kkhalid being harpers...
    or xzar and montaron with some zhent bonus? is garrick a jester? ajantis cavalier...?

plenty of room for inserting kits, but i don't think kits should be given to more than 30% of npc's.
    aren't kits more special and rare? although i admit some npc's beg to be altered. :/
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Perhaps G3's Level 1 NPCs mod will be updated to support BG:EE. Then anyone wishing to have kitted NPCs will have NPCs kitted to their pleasure.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I'm sure that eventually L1NPCs will be updated to EE's WeiDu.