Skip to content

conditions for permanent death

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    edited November 2012
    Disintegrate yields permanent death, flesh to stone (followed by any attack) results in permanent death, and (I THINK) any critical hit with a melee weapon that kills you results in permanent death as well. Wear those helmets!
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited November 2012
    Aosaw said:

Disintegrate yields permanent death, flesh to stone (followed by any attack) results in permanent death, and (I THINK) any critical hit with a melee weapon that kills you results in permanent death as well. Wear those helmets!

and (applicable only to BG2) no Ioun stones either (at least if you plan on melee). Those don't protect against critical hits (from what I recall).
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    elminster said:

Aosaw said:

and (applicable only to BG2) no Ioun stones either (at least if you plan on melee). Those don't protect against critical hits (from what I recall).
    If I recall correctly, it was an hard-coded engine feature that anything equipped in the head slot would protect against critical hits.

Not sure if this is still applicable in BG:EE. Never played it, since The Man still won't let me. *glares*
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    Nukenin said:

elminster said:

Aosaw said:

If I recall correctly, it was an hard-coded engine feature that anything equipped in the head slot would protect against critical hits.

Not sure if this is still applicable in BG:EE. Never played it, since The Man still won't let me. *glares*
    *puts melon cut into two on his head* and now I'm ready for battle !!! :p
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    thats one thing i never liked about 2nd edition..

What's the point of crits if everyone just wears a helmet..
  • styggastygga Member Posts: 467
    Critical hits don't chunk you... its a certain amount of damage you take past what would put you at 0 that determines whether or not you get chunked and therefore permanently dead.
  • KnolandKnoland Member Posts: 206
    Yea, I gear my characters to the teeth... ;) can they make me a Dragon skin skullcap?

example:

Horns of the Black Dragon (Skullcap)
    (protects against critical hits)

+2 AC
    +2 THACO
    resistance to acid and cold
    Immunity to fear

(matches Black Dragon armor)
  • DinsdalePiranhaDinsdalePiranha Member Posts: 419
    also, death spell. Semaj has it *on contingency*. only way to protect against it if you don't have a lvl 7 cleric is resist magic potions, and a nice chunk of luck, cos it's still 50-50.
    I don't like Semaj. I really don't. Though I'm pretty sure Monty managed to get that bit of info through his insides with the combination of stealth -> backstab -> ring of invisibility -> backstab.

also, iirc if cone of cold kills you, that also tends to be permanent. (you're chunked)