Skip to content

So, I'm torn . . .

I played a little Baldur's Gate when it first came out, but only a very little. When I found out about this enhanced edition a couple weeks ago, I though, "Ooo, a great opportunity to actually play this game." I've long since lost and/or ebayed my original Baldur's Gate discs.

So, I've spent the last week obsessing and agonizing over what sort of character I would enjoy playing through this and the (hopefully) inevitable Baldur's Gate 2 EE. With hours of research into the game and picking my brain for what little I remember from 2nd edition, I've been able to narrow my choices down to 3.

Option 1: Swashbuckler to be dual classed to Fighter
Goal: Have a high level fighter with just enough Find Traps and and Open Locks to not need another thief character. I'm a very charge in headlong kind of person. And with some levels of Swashbuckler, I can get a couple bonuses to AC, Attack, and Thac0 a normal fighter wouldn't.

Option 2: Avenger
Goal: I enjoy expanded shape abilities. I play a Master of Many Forms in 3.5 edition. Sword spider at low levels and eventually becoming mightly elementals (and summoning a few to boot) seems like fun. Also, being a pure class would let me get cool high level abilities sooner.

Option 3: Berserker to be dual classed to Druid
Goal: To have a high level Druid (and all the attractive high level abilities they can get) while taking advantage of the extra durability a few levels of a fighter class provides and the immunities that Enrage grants. Of the three choices, this one seems the most meta, but possibly the most effective. As I said, I'm kind of a rush in head long kind of person, and rushing in headlong in plate mail with grandmastery in dual wielded scimitars along with 2 or 3 mighty elementals (or as a mighty elemental) is about as overpowering a tactic I can think of.

I know, I know, some of you will simply say (or think), "Just play what seems the most fun." They all seem fun, though. I don't really want to make all three at once and skimp on the story of having NPCs with me. And it won't be much fun to play something that seems like fun only to find it dies every time I turn around.

So, I turn to you, veterans of Baldur's Gate. Lend me your wisdom, and help me choose the alter ego I'll be playing in 14 hours and 15 minutes that will be enjoyable without being frustrating. Thank you all in advance for any advice you will offer and the time you'll take to type it out for me. :)

Comments

• CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    The Swashbuckler->Fighter sounds pretty fun. You're getting a jump start on fighter AND thieving abilities by taking Swashbuckler instead of another rogue kit.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Avenger is freakin' fun.