Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

There's currently a forum problem with avatars not showing in reactions.
Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Well, I screwed up my weapon proficiency...

I'm currently doing a second playthrough. And I'm playing as a Cavalier with a mixed alignment party. And in my current session I am level 6. And I actually found out that instead of putting my points in "Two-handed weapons." I put them in "Two-Weapon Style" like a massive idiot. So now my proficiency points look like this...

Weapon Type:
Two-handed sword - 2 points

Weapon Style:
Two-handed weapon style: 1 point
Two-weapon style: 3 Points

Yup I somehow misread the 2 weapon style and 2 handed weapon style and I dropped all 3 points in the 2 weapon style. So now I'm concerned, because since I only have one point to the 2 handed weapon style I only miss out on the -2 speed factor which the other point gives me. And based off some research I found out that speed factor is important if you don't have high APR. I also found out that speed factor effects how quick you hit at the start of the round. (Please do correct me if I'm wrong.)

So I had one question, will I be okay for the rest of baldur's gate 1 losing the -2 speed factor and does it give a hugeeee advantage? Because I know APR doesn't matter until BG2 and especially ToB but I was wondering I could possibly get away with it?

And no, EEKeeper is not an option. I've already opened it and made a save with the proper weapon proficiency and I feel massively dirty for doing so. It's either I learn from my mistakes or not play at all. And besides I do eventually want to go 2 weapon style in BG2 until I pick up carsomyr.

Comments

  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 81
    edited October 2
    From a powergaming perspective, you'll do fine. Baldur's Gate is not so hard that you could not do without those extra pips that you misplaced. Keep in mind that a second pip in two-handed weapon style only diminishes speed factor by 2. Although it can be useful to interrupt casters more easily with your sword, the first pip clearly is the most important one and it's totally fine to not invest in the other one... especially if you want to dual wield later. That's by far a better investment. You can use your bow to interrupt casters quickly anyway.

    Also, don't mistake speed factor for APR. The speed factor only determines who's going to land the blow FIRST in a determined period of time with a predetermined number of attacks, it does NOT give you extra attacks.

    I'm not sure of the order but if you put that one pip in two-handed weapon style from the word 'go', then you barely missed anything at all. However, if you recently added that one pip then yeah, it's a shame.

    From a roleplay perspective, however, I'll warn you. Those lines about EEKeeper and how you can't stand the idea of sullying your save, I could have written them myself. I care less about powergaming than roleplaying and if my intention was to put all available pips in two-handed weapon style asap, regardless of the actual benefits, then I would feel pissed about not doing it.

    I would have felt awkward about that mistake until I could no longer put up with my character and decide to start over. This kind of stuff RUINS my game experience and I fear it would be the same for you.

    I'd suggest you go back to whenever it was that you misread or start a new game entirely. You may avoid a big waste of time and a certain amount of frustration. It's easier to forget your old character once you've got a brand-new one, especially if you've made some changes or if you made a better roll. ;)

  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,035

    Would have thought you will be fine until the end of BG1 if you have a party.
    I'm pretty sure loads and loads of people played the game for a long time before they really understood the difference pips made.
    And then there's the instances where you don't know the game or change your mind and find a really good weapon and end up using it rather than the ones you have profeciency points in.
    (how many times have I ended up doing that?)

    But I suspect what will happen is that you will get bothered by it as you do understand the mechanics.
    And that's for you to decide whether it's worth it carrying on.

  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 7,033
    You'll be absolutely fine.

  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 257
    Agreed, I don't even typically put a second pip in two-handed weapon style for characters who use two-handed weapons (unlike two-weapon fighting where I would put three pips as soon as possible).

  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,786
    in the original BG1 vanilla, weapon styles didn't even exist, and i beat the game multiple times with warriors using 2 handed weapons

    plus once you hit SoA at level 9 you can put that 2nd proficiency point in, and all will be good :)

  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49
    sarevok57 said:

    in the original BG1 vanilla, weapon styles didn't even exist, and i beat the game multiple times with warriors using 2 handed weapons

    plus once you hit SoA at level 9 you can put that 2nd proficiency point in, and all will be good :)

    Out of curiousity. In the original BG1 vanilla were there any stacks equivalent to weapon styles? (Like +1 damage boosts, speed factors and etc.)
    Simulacre said:

    From a powergaming perspective, you'll do fine. Baldur's Gate is not so hard that you could not do without those extra pips that you misplaced. Keep in mind that a second pip in two-handed weapon style only diminishes speed factor by 2. Although it can be useful to interrupt casters more easily with your sword, the first pip clearly is the most important one and it's totally fine to not invest in the other one... especially if you want to dual wield later. That's by far a better investment. You can use your bow to interrupt casters quickly anyway.

    Also, don't mistake speed factor for APR. The speed factor only determines who's going to land the blow FIRST in a determined period of time with a predetermined number of attacks, it does NOT give you extra attacks.

    I'm not sure of the order but if you put that one pip in two-handed weapon style from the word 'go', then you barely missed anything at all. However, if you recently added that one pip then yeah, it's a shame.

    From a roleplay perspective, however, I'll warn you. Those lines about EEKeeper and how you can't stand the idea of sullying your save, I could have written them myself. I care less about powergaming than roleplaying and if my intention was to put all available pips in two-handed weapon style asap, regardless of the actual benefits, then I would feel pissed about not doing it.

    I would have felt awkward about that mistake until I could no longer put up with my character and decide to start over. This kind of stuff RUINS my game experience and I fear it would be the same for you.

    I'd suggest you go back to whenever it was that you misread or start a new game entirely. You may avoid a big waste of time and a certain amount of frustration. It's easier to forget your old character once you've got a brand-new one, especially if you've made some changes or if you made a better roll. ;)

    ThacoBell said:

    You'll be absolutely fine.

    jsaving said:

    Agreed, I don't even typically put a second pip in two-handed weapon style for characters who use two-handed weapons (unlike two-weapon fighting where I would put three pips as soon as possible).

    Ty guys I was honestly leaning toward to using EEKeeper cuz I'm just getting massive OCD for just one proficiency weapon stat. But from the looks of it, It honestly doesn't seem it's really that crazy (compared with One/two handed weapons.) So I'll hope I'll remember to boost it in SoA when I reach level 9.

  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,786

    sarevok57 said:

    in the original BG1 vanilla, weapon styles didn't even exist, and i beat the game multiple times with warriors using 2 handed weapons

    plus once you hit SoA at level 9 you can put that 2nd proficiency point in, and all will be good :)

    Out of curiousity. In the original BG1 vanilla were there any stacks equivalent to weapon styles? (Like +1 damage boosts, speed factors and etc.)
    Simulacre said:

    From a powergaming perspective, you'll do fine. Baldur's Gate is not so hard that you could not do without those extra pips that you misplaced. Keep in mind that a second pip in two-handed weapon style only diminishes speed factor by 2. Although it can be useful to interrupt casters more easily with your sword, the first pip clearly is the most important one and it's totally fine to not invest in the other one... especially if you want to dual wield later. That's by far a better investment. You can use your bow to interrupt casters quickly anyway.

    Also, don't mistake speed factor for APR. The speed factor only determines who's going to land the blow FIRST in a determined period of time with a predetermined number of attacks, it does NOT give you extra attacks.

    I'm not sure of the order but if you put that one pip in two-handed weapon style from the word 'go', then you barely missed anything at all. However, if you recently added that one pip then yeah, it's a shame.

    From a roleplay perspective, however, I'll warn you. Those lines about EEKeeper and how you can't stand the idea of sullying your save, I could have written them myself. I care less about powergaming than roleplaying and if my intention was to put all available pips in two-handed weapon style asap, regardless of the actual benefits, then I would feel pissed about not doing it.

    I would have felt awkward about that mistake until I could no longer put up with my character and decide to start over. This kind of stuff RUINS my game experience and I fear it would be the same for you.

    I'd suggest you go back to whenever it was that you misread or start a new game entirely. You may avoid a big waste of time and a certain amount of frustration. It's easier to forget your old character once you've got a brand-new one, especially if you've made some changes or if you made a better roll. ;)

    ThacoBell said:

    You'll be absolutely fine.

    jsaving said:

    Agreed, I don't even typically put a second pip in two-handed weapon style for characters who use two-handed weapons (unlike two-weapon fighting where I would put three pips as soon as possible).

    Ty guys I was honestly leaning toward to using EEKeeper cuz I'm just getting massive OCD for just one proficiency weapon stat. But from the looks of it, It honestly doesn't seem it's really that crazy (compared with One/two handed weapons.) So I'll hope I'll remember to boost it in SoA when I reach level 9.
    the only thing that gave bonuses to speed factor or damage in vanilla bg1 was just straight up weapon proficiencies, well and also the gauntlets of weapon skill/specialization ( but those are only for to hit/ to damage )

  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 102
    just start over, you'll do so eventually anyway.

  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 7,033
    Don't listent o Dord, they just want to afflict you with the "Restartitis" condition.

  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 81
    ThacoBell said:

    Don't listent o Dord, they just want to afflict you with the "Restartitis" condition.

    Give in.

    It's your destiny.

  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 209
    edited October 4
    You could always start training in longswords or something to go with the "two weapon" skill points...or something like that...when you get to BG2

  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 81
    edited October 4
    Dharius said:

    You could always start training in longswords or something to go with the "two weapon" skill points...or something like that...when you get to BG2

    I believe that's what he intended for BG2 until he gets his hands on Carsomyr.

    If he wants to dual wield as a cavalier, then I'd suggest he invests in bastard swords. Just saying.

    Post edited by Simulacre on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,786
    Simulacre said:

    Dharius said:

    You could always start training in longswords or something to go with the "two weapon" skill points...or something like that...when you get to BG2

    I believe that's what he intended for BG2 until he gets his hands on Carsomyr.

    If he wants to dual wield as a cavalier, then I'd suggest he invests in bastard swords. Just saying.
    bastard swords are more useful in ToB than they are in SoA for a paladin

  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 81
    edited October 5
    sarevok57 said:

    Simulacre said:

    Dharius said:

    You could always start training in longswords or something to go with the "two weapon" skill points...or something like that...when you get to BG2

    I believe that's what he intended for BG2 until he gets his hands on Carsomyr.

    If he wants to dual wield as a cavalier, then I'd suggest he invests in bastard swords. Just saying.
    bastard swords are more useful in ToB than they are in SoA for a paladin
    There are two bastard swords that can be found in SoA, provided you've ToB installed, yes, and they're particularly suited for a paladin.

    Post edited by Simulacre on
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 3,786
    Simulacre said:

    sarevok57 said:

    Simulacre said:

    Dharius said:

    You could always start training in longswords or something to go with the "two weapon" skill points...or something like that...when you get to BG2

    I believe that's what he intended for BG2 until he gets his hands on Carsomyr.

    If he wants to dual wield as a cavalier, then I'd suggest he invests in bastard swords. Just saying.
    bastard swords are more useful in ToB than they are in SoA for a paladin
    There are two bastard swords that can be found in SoA, provided you've ToB installed, yes, and they're very particularly suited for a paladin.
    thats IF you go to watcher's keep, i like saving watcher's keep for ToB, the only problem with bastard swords that i find in SoA is that useful ones don't start popping up until chapter 5

  • SimulacreSimulacre Member Posts: 81
    edited October 5
    I think it's nice to start with two-handed swords in BG1 up to the point you get nice bastard swords in BG2 and eventually come back to two-handed swords when the best ones fall in your inventory. Good two-handed swords are available early in BG2 so you're never out of good stuff.

    This also allows for a nice and quick allocation of pips with no waste.

  • KvotheRM8KvotheRM8 Member Posts: 9
    I think it’s smart to take TWS, later on you can decide which one handed weapon you want to specialize in. At level 7 you get more attacks and a -3 penalty to hit can easily be offset with magical weapons. With the right combo of weapons you will be more deadly than if you weild the +3GS. Don’t worry about that -2SF, it’s trvial

  • inkblowoutinkblowout Member Posts: 49
    Mortianna said:

    And no, EEKeeper is not an option. I've already opened it and made a save with the proper weapon proficiency and I feel massively dirty for doing so.

    Now that's what I call a dedicated RPer.

    Helm sees all. Know that and be judged!
    RPing for the win brotha.

Sign In or Register to comment.