Skip to content

Is this a bug or expected behaviour.

TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
edited October 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I am currently doing some research and stumbled across something. I created a pair of structs -
struct uFirst
{
	int a;
	float b;
	string c;
};

struct uSecond
{
	struct uFirst d;
	int e;
};
And tested to make sure there were no syntax or other errors. The toolset compiler had no trouble with that. However whenever I try to use struct d in uSecond even to just assign another instance of struct uFirst to it I get an access violation error. Is this a bug? In C/C#/C++ what I am trying to do is perfectly valid and also it must be processed when you use an NwN variable of type location too. Ideas?

TR

Comments

• TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited October 2018
    I have been told elsewhere that this is due to missing functionality in the way that NwN handles structs. The silly thing is that I fixed one access violation error condition but then encountered a new one. Try this script -

struct uFirst { int a; float b; string c; }; struct uSecond { struct uFirst d; int e; }; struct uFirst AFunction() { struct uFirst uReturnMe; uReturnMe.a = 1; uReturnMe.b = 2.0f; uReturnMe.c = "Three"; return uReturnMe; } int GetInt(struct uFirst uTest) { return uTest.a; } void main() { struct uFirst uVar = AFunction(); struct uSecond uVar2; int iTest; uVar2.e = 5; uVar2.d = uVar; //iTest = GetInt(uVar2.d); }
    Saved/Compiled as is works fine. Now uncomment that last line and you’ll get an access violation. It appears you can put data into a nested struct, you just can’t get it out again.

Seeing as the built-in data types that are structs (location etc.) have no problem handling this isn't it time that user scripts had the same ability? Being able to handle just a single level of nesting would unlock the true potential of this data type.

TR
  • nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hey Tarot,

that's pretty much a known issue with the compiler. It can't do nested structs. We'd have to fix it for this to be viable. So yeah, it's a bug, but it's been that way since the NWN release.
  • thirdmousethirdmouse Member Posts: 67
    Compiling with NWNSC should work, if that's an option.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    Thanks for the reply @niv . I personally still think it should be fixed sometime though as fixing that would not break backwards compatibility. Actually there is one other little thing with structs. I doubt this next would be an easy fix. With the built in structs a constructor function can have the same name as the type it is constructing. For example -

vector vVec = Vector(x, y, z);

It would be nice to be able to do the same thing for constructors for user created structs as well.

TR