Skip to content

Romance Question - Half Orcs?

Hello, in the original game, there were no romances for half-orcs. Did the EE ever change that to where Jaheira or Aerie will run their romance programs with a half-orc character, without the Tweaks mod?

Thanks.

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The bug preventing Viconia from romancing Half Orcs in vanilla was fixed by the EEs. That's your only option. The lying, abusive, manipulative priestess of the goddess that wants to end all life. This is why I am thankful for mods.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    Well Neera, Hexxat and Dorn will romance half-orcs too I believe?

Also, Viconia is awesome. <3
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Too bad for me if I roll a half-orc, then. I will never use any of those characters. I'll have to decide if having a fighter-cleric with 19 str and con is worth giving up those extra dialogues with Jaheira and Aerie.

I wish humans could multi-class without resorting to Keeper.
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Too bad for me if I roll a half-orc, then. I will never use any of those characters. I'll have to decide if having a fighter-cleric with 19 str and con is worth giving up those extra dialogues with Jaheira and Aerie.

@BelgarathMTH You can set the activation variables of any particular romance from 0 to 1 using EEKeeper or the console, and then you can pursue the romance even with a half-orc character. :)
    borntodie said:

Also, Viconia is awesome. <3</p>

*Slaps face* How could I forget Dorn? I thought Neera and Hexxat didn't go for Half Orcs?

Also, yes, VIconia IS awesome... at being a terrible terrible person. The worst part is that its not exaggerated at all like almost every other evil companion. She is REALISTICALLY emotionally abusive and manipulative. I've know people in real life just like her, and was previously in a relationship with one. Its not desireable, its not sexy, its just anguish. Any body who would want to put themselves into something like either never experienced it, or is currently a victim of it, and thinks its normal.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Might be an unpopular opinion but I find the idea of any of the female NPC romancing a half orc unrealistic and unsavory.
    To put it bluntly, they don't have a chance should things go wrong.

If the game was able to explore the real dangers and the real difficulties that such a "romance" could encounter, I might feel differently. But it can't so IMO, they should have left well alone.

It's verging far too much into the fanfic fantasy stuff.

• WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183

Well, it's a Tweaks Anthology option...
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    ThacoBell said:

borntodie said:

Also, Viconia is awesome. <3</p>

*Slaps face* How could I forget Dorn? I thought Neera and Hexxat didn't go for Half Orcs?
    Every Enhanced Edition Companion will romance regardless of race. Only the original companions have any racial prejudices in this regard.

If the game was able to explore the real dangers and the real difficulties that such a "romance" could encounter, I might feel differently. But it can't so IMO, they should have left well alone.

I mean, doesn't Dorn's romance very much go into that? I've never played it myself, but from what I understand he does try to force himself on you at one point, and him being him, he only respects you more after you fend him off.

We're all like wizards and warriors and stuff. We slay Demons and Dragons and Mindflayers and stuff. I don't think there's any recruitable companion who would be helpless against the might of a half orc.
  • borntodieborntodie Member Posts: 199
    ThacoBell said:

She [Viconia] is REALISTICALLY emotionally abusive and manipulative. I've know people in real life just like her, and was previously in a relationship with one.

I am really sorry to hear what you have been through. Wounds like that do not heal easily. And yeah, I can imagine that Viconia reminds you of her.

At the same time, I hope you do not mind that I shared my own opinion on the character, although I wont push the point any further. We can only agree to disagree, I guess.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I mean, doesn't Dorn's romance very much go into that? I've never played it myself, but from what I understand he does try to force himself on you at one point, and him being him, he only respects you more after you fend him off.

We're all like wizards and warriors and stuff. We slay Demons and Dragons and Mindflayers and stuff. I don't think there's any recruitable companion who would be helpless against the might of a half orc.

So if you fend off an attempted assault it means the attacker respects you more?
    Is that how it goes?
    Really?
    So if you can't, what, you deserve to be disrespected?

IMO, the developers of EE veered into territory they are not at all capable (nor did they want to) explore seriously.
    Would have been better to steer clear.

I mean, Dorn could not be more evil. I don't think anybody was holding his behavior as like model human behavior or anything.

It's a romance. Either you're into the semi-monstrous brute or you're not.

Unfortunately, I can't install any mods any more, because I don't understand the whole "ModMerge" thing. I can't even find a place to download it that I trust.

I have to choose between unmodded EE or reverting to the classic GoG version so I can install mods using the Weidu method I'm familiar with. Usually nowadays I just go with EE because I'm spoiled by the quality of life features. So no more mods for me, sadly. I just don't need the stress of it any more. I want to spend my leisure time playing, not dealing with tech stuff.
  • WatchForWolvesWatchForWolves Member Posts: 183
    Well, I don't even know what "ModMerge" is and I'm using Tweaks Anthology just fine, so there's hope? Tweaks Anthology is Weidu and fully compatible with EE.

Unfortunately, I can't install any mods any more, because I don't understand the whole "ModMerge" thing. I can't even find a place to download it that I trust.

I have to choose between unmodded EE or reverting to the classic GoG version so I can install mods using the Weidu method I'm familiar with. Usually nowadays I just go with EE because I'm spoiled by the quality of life features. So no more mods for me, sadly. I just don't need the stress of it any more. I want to spend my leisure time playing, not dealing with tech stuff.
    You only need Modmerge if you are playing SoD on Steam or GoG. If you bought direct from Beamdog, its completely uneccessary.
    @ThacoBell, That's useful to know. I own both Steam and Beamdog versions, and I didn't know that the Modmerge nonsense was only necessary to Steam owners. (Which is a very bad thing, in my opinion. My opinion of Beamdog was lowered several notches when this happened.)

However, I *really* like Steam for its ease of use features, and hours played information. Also, I'm not sure if I ever bought SoD on my Beamdog client. I'll have to check that out. I don't think I did.
    @BelgarathMTH Its not Beamdog's fault. Its the way that the Steam client (and GoG) handles and loads DLC.