Skip to content

Phaere Deep Gnome Patrol Quest stuck

Hi All,

I've run into a problem with Phaere's quest, where she asks you to kill a deep gnome patrol. I have done that, talked with Solafein, grabbed the patrol leader's helmet and talk to Phaere. She takes the helmet and the party is rewarded XP, but the quest not seem to complete. I get no further dialogue from Phaere, and if I talk to her again, she berates me for not having the helmet. I saw on a walkthrough that her next quest involves meeting her at the female fighter's guild, but she is not there, she's still at the tavern.

I don't use any mods other than EE Keeper to get slightly better than average stats at the beginning (way back in BG1) and to change my MC's sprite from a fighter to a mage sprite when he dual classed. And a custom portrait for my MC.

Attached is the save file, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ArchmagiusArchmagius Member Posts: 5
    One thing I forgot to mention. The save file is from before turning the quest in (I got suspicious when it didn't advance and went back to an older save) and Solafein is still in the underdark near where the patrol was. Not sure if he was supposed to come back to the tavern as well.
  • compleCCitycompleCCity Member Posts: 52
    I can't tell anything really meaningful to your question itself, but it would be surely more helpful if you wouldn't attach only the savegame's screenshot (the BMP file). ;)

What about right-clicking the folder that contains it, chosing "Send to … ZIP folder" (or something like that, don't know the exact English terminology for it) and upload that? Then somebody could import your real savegame and test-play it (or analyze the global variables). :)
    Oh, woops. Thanks for pointing that out.

This should be the save file here.
    Thanks. Downloaded, tested, researched … solution. Or, semi-solution.

I don't know where you have left Solaufein, but he should be present in the tavern when you talk with Phaere. A debate ensues, and the quest line progresses. I've achieved this by spawning Solaufein via console. I don't know if this is a common bug, him not being there, or if something specific during your gameplay happened that hindered him from appearing there …

After killing the svirfneblin, there should have been some dialogue with him, which you apparently have had, judging by your journal:
    Solaufein: "It is done. Pfeh. I am returning to the city now. Find the leader's helmet, Veldrin. Return quickly to the tavern with it, and I shall meet you there."
    Journal: "The gnome patrol is dead. Solaufein has returned to Ust Natha, disgusted, and commanded that I search the bodies for the patrol leader's helmet and return to the tavern to meet with Phaere." (This exists in yours, and this dialog is the only source to activate it.)

Further script for Solaufein, after this:
    SetGlobal("SolaufeinJob","GLOBAL",7) (Correct in your savegame!)
    MoveToPointNoInterrupt([1450.2450])
    MoveBetweenAreas("AR2202",[953.692],S) (That's the tavern.)

So, don't know … walk back there and look for him? Spawn him via console (and perhaps have him two times in the game, then)? Reload the fight against the patrol? Your decision … :)
    edited October 2018
    Oh, just noticed your addendum up there. So he indeed is where the fight happened. And yes, he is supposed …
    Hm … talk to him another time, or reload the fight, I'd say.
    Perhaps he just need some more time to leave. Or is stuck and can't reach the intended point.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

Going to put this in a spoiler.

I don't think many players actually kill the patrol so perhaps that's why there hasn't been much response.
    So if you have a save from just before you kill the patrol, you might try doing the opposite.

Head for the area after being told by Pharae to kill them,
    Meet Soulefain before encountering the patrol (by the mushrooms)
    Tell him you are capable of doing this by yourself
    He leaves saying something about it being beneath him (I think)
    You stop the patrol, tell them they are in danger and ask for the helmet from the leader as proof
    Take the helmet back to Pharae in the tavern and tell her you killed them

You aren't meant to see Soulefein again until you get back to the tavern so that might solve the problem.

Thanks all for the replies. I didn't have any saves from before the gnome patrol was killed (other than the chapter start which was too far away). I ultimately decided to use the console to spawn in another solaefein, which fixed the issue.

Looking back on that battle with the gnomes though, it was a little unusual in that the Kuo-Toan prince from the nearby area got involved (I ended up kiting him around the area trying to lose him until i figured out how to beat him), and ended up killing a mind controlled gnome. Maybe some weird bug regarding who gets the final blow or the status of the enemy, idk.

Either way, the issue is fixed, and I am progressing again.