Skip to content

Unexpected Limit of Total Ability Points in Character Creation

UnicornisUnicornis Member Posts: 1
edited October 2018 in Troubleshooting
I have been looking into this issue for quite some time now and finally decided to make a post about it. I made a post on Redmine but decided to post here too in case anyone has any insights.

So I have been rolling for characters using several different auto-rollers, including the one outlined in "THE NEW UI SYSTEM" subsection of ReleaseNotes080616. I have noticed that there seems to be a "cap" in how high you can roll for a character. For example, I have been trying for a long time to roll for a human fighter, and the highest I could ever get is 100 with 18/45 strength. I do realize that this might be bad luck, but this is after many rolling sessions, which would probably add up to about at least 2-3 full weeks of continuous rolling, with literally millions of rolls (estimated by one of the rollers that keeps track of the total number of rolls). In addition, I noticed that only certain combinations of the 6 stats exist, at least for higher rolls. This is harder to notice at lower values because they are easy to roll for, but as the rolls get higher, there seem to be very few or only one combination possible. In my human fighter example (see attachment), each time I roll a 100, I would always get the exact same combination, with 18/45 strength, and the 45 part never flactuates. I think I have obtained the same combination for 5-10 times now, because 100 is the absolute highest that I could get so far.

All rollers have invariably yielded the same outcome, including the one outlined in ReleaseNotes080616. This roller seem to be most efficient compared to other ones, as it does not auto-click and instead does it in the background and would return a desired roll at a noticably much faster speed. For a human fighter, if I set the desired value to 100, the game would "freeze" for a bit and finally yield the 100 roll, but if I set it to 101, it would never produce a 101 roll, even if I leave it on for a long period of time (an entire day or longer), and I would have to eventually use the task manager to shut down the game. The observations above are not limited to the fighter class, as I have seen the same pattern with other classes, except that I was able to obtain higher values with something like a paladin (this is expected because paladins naturally have high charisma, but I am not sure what the max possible is for paladin - I did not test this one extensively).

I have done all the rolling with windows 7 64-bit, on two different computers. I used BGEE and BG2EE primarily, and both seem to follow the same pattern. I have used IWDEE too, although much less frequently. I have used newest version possible for all of these games. I also got in touch with a member of the Beamdog forum, who seemed to have similar experiences, and what he told me is interesting. He uses Linux to generate his characters, and he was able to get a 103 human fighter within 30 minutes of auto-rolling.

I was very hesitant to draw this conclusion - as luck is an inherent part of rolling, but at this point it is hard to convince myself that there isn't something wrong, especially given that the rolling method outlined in ReleaseNotes080616 seems so much more efficient compared to other rollers. With other rollers, it takes a full day or two to roll a 100 human fighter, but with the ReleaseNotes080616 rolling method, a 100 human fighter might only take 10-20 minutes. Even with this level of efficiency, I have never managed to get a 101. In addition, getting the fixed combination of ability points every single time, along with the same exceptional strength, seems impossible to be a mere coincidence.

I am not a programmer so I could only speculate. My theory is that perhaps the rolling system works fine on Linux but gets somehow glitched on Windows 7. I did this out of curiosity with hopes to help improve the game. Thank you very much for your time.

Post edited by Unicornis on
Permidion_StarkJuliusBorisovlolien