Skip to content

What is good gorion's ward ending? (BG2:ToB spoilers)

I specifically want to ask about the god ending for the good Gorion's ward (from now on only GW).
What is his portfolio as a god? In D&D all gods have a theme so to speak - a domain. There are gods of vigilance and duty, of trickery, of healing, of suffering and many more. This is important for a god, because that is what they have power over and why people pray to them (they want assistance in the given domain) and worship is power to gods, without worship, you die. (also gods should not share portfolios, though there are exceptions irrelevant to this my question)
So back to my original question: What is the good GW a god of? Evil would probably try to take back the domain of murder from Cyric and neutral might too, but murder is not something so easily seen as a good thing. Is he just a patron of good aligned assasins? (can't imagine that there would be many of those running around) Something completely different? A good GW does show that the taint of murder holds no sway over him so does he just pick something completely new?
ThacoBell

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Well, they would have to take Bhaal's domain, but that doesn't necessarily mean "Murder". It could simply be the passage between life and death. Under that interpretation, Gorion's Ward could do a lot of different things. The first couple that come to mind would be easing the passing of those on death's door, or even to reverse one's passage from life to death, either to speed a death along, or to prevent one.
  • Krabator007Krabator007 Member Posts: 2
    ThacoBell said:

Well, they would have to take Bhaal's domain, but that doesn't necessarily mean "Murder". It could simply be the passage between life and death. Under that interpretation, Gorion's Ward could do a lot of different things. The first couple that come to mind would be easing the passing of those on death's door, or even to reverse one's passage from life to death, either to speed a death along, or to prevent one.

but wouldn't those be much closer to the other of the dark three? (bhaal became a god after splitting the domain of the previous god of death with two other mortals)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I don't see why. What is murder, if not the passage between life and death? Myrkul is god of the dead (the already dead). I forget what Cyric's deal is, other than crazy.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited October 2018
    The History of the Dead Three describes how the domain of death was divided in times past, and specifically Bhaal's domain in that split. A good GW is not going to want to pick up that domain.

Given your many run-ins with Vampires and all sorts of undead, in particular the machinations of Irenicus, I could imagine picking up the mantle of laying to rest those without souls (whether they are ready or not). The forceful laying to rest feels in keeping with you progenitor's history, although certainly not all good-aligned characters would be comfortable with that.
    Post edited by GreenWarlock on
    ThacoBell
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I think the one thing the good GW might take over or make their speciality is dealing with the unlawfully/unfairly murdered.

Retribution for the murderer (retribution is talked about in TOB).

Comfort for the murdered and their family (in other words, when nobody else cares, you would)
    GreenWarlockThacoBell