Skip to content

Materialize, in case you dind't know it existed...

There is this nifty free map maker software, Materialize, which allows you to bake all the maps you need into a single final map, including normals, specular, bump and more in a few clicks. It's basically full PBR from one photograph.

It's faster and more efficient than doing it in Blender or any other 3D software.
There is even a good video about it by Grant Abbitt, who happens to be one of my favourite Blender youtubers.

I stumbled across that software inadvertendly and it's really a time saver, love it, hope it can be helpful to whom needs this kind of features.

Cheers.

Comments

• zordren3742zordren3742 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2018
    I looks a lot like crazy bump. Substance has a program like this to. There are some things that it makes sense to use a image to generate maps. But there are things that you simply cannot get without a high poly to low poly bake, like the normal details for a creatures body geometry. You could use a texture for stuff like hair and fur but there are limits when all you have is a image, like if the image is too low res, it will effect the generated maps quality. But this one does look good, I will have to check it out. One of the problems with nwn 1.69s content is that the models are really low poly and the textures are really low res, and you cannot get modern video game high resolution details from a low resolution image. These tools do not make detail, they take the detail that is in a image and make. maps out of whatever detail is there. But this tool could be useful for new content.
    Post edited by zordren3742 on
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    That's true.
    I only see that kind of tool as a way to speed up the process of creating a model.
    I'm not very keen on high definition in NWN either, this game is more about the adventure than about the graphics and, TBH, modern super high res games are often so shallow that I get bored with them in a matter of days.
    I don't even include the new Aribeth and new weapon models in my PW, they don't add much to the gaming experience.
    But maybe I'm a bit too old school :)