Skip to content

Weapon Speed and Backstabbing

I've read a similar thread here discussing backstab weapons, but the issue of weapon speed was never really discussed.

Is weapon speed an important factor to consider? What are the consequences of using a slow weapon? Is it just the wait time? Meaning the only real con of a slow weapon is the risk of being spotted?

If I'm using invisibly instead of hide, would that mean I'm probably better off using a slow weapon for more damage?

Thanks!

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    edited November 2012
    Speed factor determines how early on you strike in a round (a round lasts six seconds). The lower the speedfactor the better, so a weapon with a speed factor of 0 will strike right at the start of those 6 seconds. A weapon of speed factor 10 will strike right at the end.

Obviously if you kill your opponent mid-round, they don't have an opportunity to strike back. However since most combats last multiple rounds, it normally not that important to the outcome.

However, the exception is wizards, and interupting spell casting. When a wizard is casting a spell and you hit them, you have a chance of disrupting the spell they are casting. This is where speed factor can be very useful, since the earlier you strike, the less chance they have of having already finished the spell.

Overall, I'd say speed factor isn't better than addition thac0 or damage, but is still worth considering, all other things being equal.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    I've only noticed it to be consequential when having a thief backstab a wizard or cleric, as ajwz is suggesting.
  • NemNem Member Posts: 51
    Wouldn't a backstab always happen first regardless? If I'm sneaking up on a guy, combat doesn't initiate until I hit him, right?

In that case, spell interruption is the only factor to consider. And that's only if the caster survives the initial blow. If I were an assassin and I poisoned my target, the poison should take care of any additional round he is alive for, as far as spell interruption goes, yes?
  • mallzmallz Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2012
    Yes for the poison.

And yes, the only con is being spotted before leaving shadows. Which really doesn't matter as long as you have the THACO to back up your speed (or lack of). You'll have more chances to swing and hit with a lower speed weapon before being spotted which is why the faster wielding weapons are much more attractive. Lets say you can get 3 swings in with a shortsword or 1 with a stave. If your lacking in THACO, go with the shortsword, otherwise go with the stave that can deal more dmg per backstab. (just a hypothetical example)

Invisibility instead of hide: doesn't matter. As soon as you start attacking from being invisible or hidden in shadows your at risk of being spotted.
    Post edited by mallz on