Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Fighter/Bard

Can a human fighter dual into a bard?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 4,748
    No. You can only dual into fighter, thief, mage, or cleric. No kits, and no other classes. (In the base game without mods, that is.)

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 295
    Would be great if you could as a fighter/bard would be an intriguing character to play.

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,694
    A fighter dual-classed to bard would just be a bard with extra hit points and with weapon specialization.
    - If you are using bard song, those are not useful
    - If you are not using bard song, it's just a weaker fighter->mage

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 7,383
    You could always install the "Might and Guile" mod. It has three separate kits for multiclass fighter/bards.

• XanatosXanatos Member Posts: 34
    Blade kit for a bard is basically a fighter/bard if you haven't taken that one for a spin.

ThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 3,035
    Xanatos said:

Blade kit for a bard is basically a fighter/bard if you haven't taken that one for a ***spin***.

I see what you did there! ;)

ThacoBell
    edited November 1

A fighter dual-classed to bard would just be a bard with extra hit points and with weapon specialization.

A fighter/bard isn't just a weaker fighter/mage because he can use thief HLAs which are the strongest in the game, and a fighter/bard receives benefits beyond hit points and weapon specialization (though those are very powerful) such as broader weapon/armor choices and extra APR at levels 7 and 13.

There are some similarities to a blade but it wouldn't really play the same because you wouldn't have to decide when you needed above-average melee DPS (because you'd always have it, though not quite at the level of an offensive spin). I imagine a fighter/bard would be most similar to a FMT, though.

ThacoBell
  • subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 9,694
    edited November 1
    jsaving said:

A fighter/bard isn't just a weaker fighter/mage because he can use thief HLAs which are the strongest in the game, and a fighter/bard receives benefits beyond hit points and weapon specialization (though those are very powerful) such as broader weapon/armor choices and extra APR at levels 7 and 13.
    Meh. A fighter/bard (insofar as it might ever exist) doesn't have broader weapon or armor chocies than a fighter/mage. Anyway a fighter dualled to anything is just "anything plus extra hit points and weapon mastery." (And even that is only because Bioware butchered the game rules, you're not supposed to be able to keep going up to GM once the primary class in which you are advancing is no longer Fighter.) A fighter dualled to anything with these rules is just the other thing with some extra melee oomph, which IMHO is stupid and unimaginative. Might as well just put the game on Easy mode, you'll have better thac0 and do more damage, same difference.

Also: advancing as a rogue and taking thief HLAs, more powerful than becoming an archmage and taking mage HLAs? Are we talking about the same game?

Note however, my post was specifically about a fighter dual-classing to bard, because that's what the OP asked about. If you're talking about multiclassing a fighter/bard, that's a different story. Multiclassing different class abilities tends to result in more interesting results. In fact as mentioned above, I even made a mod that adds three kits which are, in fact, multiclass fighter/bards. So count me in favor of that.

ThacoBell
    Yes, thief HLAs are absolutely more powerful than mage HLAs (though mage HLAs aren't bad either). And yes, I too was talking about a fighter dual-classing to bard, otherwise grandmastery wouldn't be possible.