Skip to content

Hardware Requirements for dedicate server/PW?

bonebrahbonebrah Member Posts: 25
edited October 2018 in General Discussions NWN:EE
CPU? GPU? Memory? For up to 100 to 255 players (since that is cap). I suppose it largely depends on if its script heavy (that is server side I assume) but graphics are rendered client side? Is there a recommended minimum to get a pretty stable server for even a handful of players?

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    A relatively modern toaster will do. Just don't use shared VMs from providers that overprovision (more users on a single physical machine than physical CPUs), as you might get huge lag spikes when the CPU gets pulled out from under you.
  • bonebrahbonebrah Member Posts: 25
    edited November 2018
    Just looking to see something cheap on a decent network:

Intel Xeon E5-2676 v3 @ 2.4ghz x2
    1gb ram

I have to assume back in early 2000 we're talking less than 512mb ram on decent rigs and not even 1ghz single core cpus right (probably much lower after a quick google search)? I'd imagine this can handle a decent player load, any way to estimate based on above specs?
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    In 2002 when NWN released companies already had 2ghz processors out and it wasn't long before they reached the heat wall of cpu speeds.

I imagine handling high volume of players has more to do with the connection than the specs. I've run servers on old netbooks before and it seemed to cope fairly well with a few players.
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    In all seriousness now, it really depends on what you want to do.

You wanna run through the OC with 5 friends and a DM? That Xeon is more than enough.
    You wanna run a small arena PvP server for 5v5? It'll be enough.
    You want to run a medium sized PW for 30 people? It may be enough, depending on how it's built.
    You want to run a large PW with NWNX features? The 1gb RAM will cause it to choke and die.

nwserver itself is unlikely to use more than 500mb RAM, and it'll use a single CPU core. If you don't run anything else on that machine, the RAM will be enough. If you do want something else, or if you're using an OS that's not a lightweight linux setup, it'll choke. If you want to run NWNX, you'll need more.

As for CPU, in basic modules it is enough. There's three things on the server that need the CPU:
    - Scripting - Optimize by writing faster scripts, or just doing less work/less often
    - Pathfinding - Optimize by not cluttering areas with placeables that make it hard for NPCs (and PCs) to move
    - Object updates - Optimize by keeping the overall object (especially creature) count low.

Depending on how a module is built with respect to those three, it can run perfectly fine on that CPU or it can choke on the latest supercomputer.