Skip to content

Is it necessary to sign on to Google to play?

ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
edited November 2018 in Android Beta of NWN:EE
Great to see this on Android.

I downloaded the beta and cancelled "Create a Gamer ID".

Now it's asking me to "Choose an account", offering my regular gmail account as an option.

I only want to play SP offline, and I certainly don't want to share anything with Google, because I value my privacy. Is there any way to play without connecting to a Google account?

EDIT - if I click anywhere on the screen outside of the "Choose an account" box, that box disappears, and I can play the game. However, I can't tell whether I'm connected to my Google account or not, because the game disables the normal round and square buttons on Android that allow you to start/tab/close other apps.

Can Beamdog confirm whether this by-passes Google sign-on, or signs on the the default account?

Thanks.

Comments

• AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    A good question! It has been my experience that whenever i refuse a game's request to sign-in to Google Play, it gets all goofy and weird, and often won't allow me to play the game. Here's hoping that NwN doesn't take us down that path! (It won't, will it?)
  • AtrophiedericAtrophiederic Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 147
    Cool - good to know!
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    If you disable Google Play Games in your Android settings, it reduces the number of screens to dismiss each time from three to one (ignore the option to reinstate).

I played for quite a while after that, with no adverse consequences.

I withdrew all permissions from Google Play Games long ago, so in theory it shouldn't be doing anything anyway, but I don't trust them.
  • cfunkycfunky Member Posts: 9
    is it possible to the saved games to be synchronied by google play, for instance if i want to continue the same game on my tablet when im at home or on my phone when im away?