Skip to content

Add 'Game Type' back to server browser for multiplayer (we need categories)

Pretty self explanatory. I've personally noticed quite a few 'what server' posts from new players or players looking for a new server home. We have quite a few servers listed and there's basically no searching or filtering capabilities. Many of the servers for instance may have restrictive RP requirements, you get a player thats looking for some hack and slash fun with easier going people and they're going to get turned off by the fact its cumbersome to try to find a server that is following that basic premise.

We have trello cards covering things like 'adult filtering' which in some aspects tandems this. In nwn oe (old edition) we had at least 'game types' that gave us some overall categories and allowed a bit of categorization to servers.

I think this should be re-implemented. It used to give the community at least a bit of overall segregation by often very subjective terms but at least it gave you some idea of what kind of server or mentality you were looking through.

Granted a more comprehensive server filtering system would be nice, say tags and or ratings (yes that could have negatives as well). I think a core set of categories though covering these sort of basics is important, more so than tagging alone as it gives some pre-definitions based on overall directions of the server operators.

As an original nwn player, I currently look at the server list and don't even know what to join, I have to read individually the rather sparse server descriptions and then need to google the servers and start reading their webpages to even figure out if its going to have meta rules that I'm ok with. This usually leads to me shutting down the game to take up again some other time (preferrably when I have multiple monitors connected haha).