Skip to content

Legends of Aria: A spiritual successor to Neverwinter Nights

SatelliteMind89SatelliteMind89 Member Posts: 8
edited November 2018 in Off-Topic
Hello fellow roleplayers! Anyone who loves the NWN PW scene should check out Legends of Aria. It was originally known as Shards Online when it debuted on Kickstarter and got a name change as the developers expanded the scope and size of the project. The official server experience will play similar to that of Ultima Online. It is currently in open beta for the weekend and the game will launch on STEAM early access December 4th. What makes it relevant to the NWN community is the fact that players will be able to host their own servers which will be completely customizable from writing your own rulesets to building your own world. It gets even better, there is already a team working on writing a 5th edition rule set and plans to share it with the community after the tools become open to everyone sometime after early access. That being said, they do need help since they have only one scripter at the moment so if you know LUA or are fluent in another coding language and would like to help make this process faster you can contact them on their Discord channel here and the first video showing off the basics. It is a very exciting time as someone who has been following this since the beginning Legends of Aria promises to be everything NWN was and more.

Post edited by SatelliteMind89 on

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The game lost me as soon as I read it's a pure MMORPG - making it more a spiritual successor of Neverwinter than anything.
  • SatelliteMind89SatelliteMind89 Member Posts: 8
    edited November 2018
    You can have the sandbox MMORPG experience similar to Ultima Online, at least if that is if you want to play on the official servers. Community servers on the other hand are their own things some of them have been up and running since close to the beginning of kickstarter. However, until earlier this year if you were an admin you were restricted to using the official map and assets because the tools didn't support it but now you can build your own and host it. Not to mention server admins have access to GM abilities as well. To be accurate it is both a MMORPG and a platform.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    That's the thing though - I have absolutely no interest in playing online with other people. For me, the Neverwinter Nights franchise will always be singleplayer games with an optional multiplayer mode. One that I never used to this day I might add.
    Ah I see than yes this would not be your thing if your interest in NWN was purely single player.
    A custom GUI has been confirmed by the team working on the 5th edition ruleset. Here is a very early preview of what it would look like.

Also, here are a couple of screenies showing off parts of a custom map