Skip to content

Familiar disappears when releasing from pack

SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
As title.

I may have dug this hole for myself, so I will lay out what happened. :/

I wanted non-arcane classes to have familiars too, so I edited the Find Familiar scroll to have no class limitations. Cue my paladin, gained a pseudodragon, all was well. Now I also wanted that paladin to have a few extra strongholds. EEKeeper helped with that, changing the class and the vaiable right before gaining it. I change my paladin temporarily to a lawful neutral cleric and gain the Temple of Helm as a stronghold.

This is where my problem begins. I change my class back to Paladin, but forget to change my alignment back to Lawful Neutral. Many, many battles later I decide to let the familiar get some fresh air and let it out: I release a pseudodragon from my pack... and a ferret (the lawful neutral familiar) appears. Oops. I notice the alignment error, pick the ferret back up, save the game, and use EEKeeper to correct the alignment and switch out the ferret for a pseudodragon.

Now when I load the game and try to release the pseudodragon, nothing happens. That is, the familiar completely disappears. (My HP stay the same.)

I try to summon a new one, but get the message that "a familiar has already been summoned".

I assume it has something to do with flags, either Global Variables or Effects, and I need to either change one to have the familiar NOT disappear, or clear the flag that says I already summoned one.

Google has been unhelpful sofar, so does anyone here know the correct flag/Effect/Variable? I miss my little buddy... :'(

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,001
    @Sjerrie: The engine will block a familiar from being summoned if any creatures in the GAM file have opcode #196 (Familiar Block) applied.

Since releasing a pseudodragon did nothing, I believe your old familiar was somehow deleted from the GAM file. You need to remove the ferret familiar from the GAM file, either by killing it in game, or deleting it with Near Infinity. Then you should be able to summon a new pseudodragon.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,235
    Thank you @Bubb that worked! Should've guessed it'd still be in the "potential partymembers list" since i cleared the inventory slot through EEKeeper...