Skip to content

Should Consitution Regeneration Be Fixed?

bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
As discovered on page 5 of the 20 Constitution thread, Baldur's Gate constitution regeneration rate is not set correctly according to how BG handles time (10x PnP). The current time settings for regen gives you approximately the 25 constitution regen bonus at the time for the 20 constitution (a factor of 6x over what it should be in BG time). So not only is the game speed 10x in BG, but the regen bonus is 6x compounded on top of that. The fix I provide would be very easy to implement. I have provided the time in seconds needed to correct this.

2nd Edition Con Regeneration Rates:
----------------------
20 Con = 1 HP/6 Turns
21 Con = 1 HP/5 Turns
22 Con = 1 HP/4 Turns
23 Con = 1 HP/3 Turns
24 Con = 1 HP/2 Turns
25 Con = 1 HP/1 Turn

BG Con Regeneration Rates from hpconbon.2da (in seconds):
-----------------
20 Con = 60 (1 hp/turn)
21 Con = 50
22 Con = 40
23 Con = 30 (1 hp/5 rounds)
24 Con = 20
25 Con = 10

CamDawg confirmed value 60 = 60 Seconds.
@DinsdalePiranha confirmed 20 Con is 1 HP every 60 seconds in game (30 seconds @ 60 FPS).

So as you see, in BG 20 constitution gives you the bonus of what 25 constitution should.

If I've done the math right, the following values (in seconds) should be used, relative to how BG handles time:
1 Turn = 1 Minute.

Set hpconbon.2da to the following values:

Con 20 = 360 (6 minutes/6 Turns)
Con 21 = 300 (5 minutes/5 Turns)
Con 22 = 240 (4 minutes/4 Turns)
Con 23 = 180 (3 minutes/3 Turns)
Con 24 = 120 (2 minutes/2 Turns)
Con 25 = 60 (1 minutes/1 Turns)

Could I get a rule lawyer to back me up on this? @AndreaColombo
  1. Should Consitution Regeneration Be Fixed?109 votes
    1. Yes, change it to reflect PnP
      43.12%
    2. No, leave it alone
      43.12%
    3. Undecided/No Opinion
      13.76%
Post edited by bigdogchris on

Comments

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    It will be too slow to have a noticeable and significant effect ingame, so i say leave it. Or take the p&p table and halve the values. Or reduce them by 2/3 or 3/4.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    bob_veng said:

It will be too slow to have a noticeable and significant effect ingame, so i say leave it. Or take the p&p table and halve the values. Or reduce them by 2/3 or 3/4.

But regeneration in PnP is not intended to be something where you regain massive quantities of HP while standing around. It's supposed to represent a slow regeneration process. I don't see why that should change just because this is a game.

Plus, there are many, many other ways to "break the rules" for "more noticeable impact" on game mechanics. Why this one? I think I made a decent case as to how it may be a bug/unintentionally implemented wrong.

If the developers wanted players to be regenerating a lot of HP, wouldn't it be easier/better to implement HP regeneration on items, like they did in BG2.
    ok, i believe that it's likely a bug (and should have adressed that firstly) - in short, i don't think it matters that it's a bug, it works better as is.

p&p doesn't play in real time like BG. there's a "live action" component here that you can't ignore. if regeneration is to be unnoticeable and useless, wouldn't that be a deterioration in terms of playing experience?

i don't think that 1hp every 10sec at *25 con* (that's some epic con) is a massive regeneration rate. it sure is useful, but doesn't affect anything drastically i'd say.
    if a battle lasts two turns, you'd have recovered 12hp this way. not exactly dramatic.

i accept that could be lowered to reflect p&p more, but the original p&p values would be pointlessly slow - imagine in a p&p game how turns are measured during various transitions, non-combat interations etc. and how regenerating a dozen hp in between battles might be life saving. in BG we just rest after a battle and move on to the next one anyway.
    outside of combat, in BG, time basically stops for all practical purposes (unless you're poisoned etc.).
    edited November 2012
    If we follow the train of thought you are making, why not break open the bank the rest of the rules?

I totally and completely understand why some PnP rules had to be changed for a video game. In those cases I can't argue because it's a different medium. Regeneration is not something that had to be changed.

Plus, I don't like the argument about it's usefulness because characters are already overpowered in the game compared to PnP, even without the regeneration bonus. While this may only be considered a minor thing, or something that only rarely applies, the little things add up.

I'd rather the game be more challenging and rewarding than easier, dumbed down, and 'arcadey'. You can only face one way with decisions and I think that allowing this oversight to stay in game is facing the wrong direction. This game isn't Diablo, lets not treat it like that.

If we follow the train of thought you are making, why not break open the bank the rest of the rules?

I totally and completely understand why some PnP rules had to be changed for a video game. In those cases I can't argue because it's a different medium. Regeneration is not something that had to be changed.

I think regen is one of those rules that calls for some adjustment since the dynamics of managing hp as a strategic resource are vastly different in a real time video game and a p&p game.
    Don't lose sight that i'm not positive that it should remain as is, but i'd actually be the most ok with taking p&p values as a starting point and speeding things up by, say 50%, or 75%.

I don't think that game difficulty figures significantly in this discussion because neither alternative is going to noticeably affect that. I really think we're talking about flavor here. Aesthetics.

And don't pull the Diablo card on me, that's a cheap move bro.
    edited November 2012
    @bob_veng

Fair enough. The Diablo comment was not directed at you. I was pointing out my stance that Diablo type games are not in the same ballpark as BG.

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    Um, okay... what information do you need, @AndreaColumbo?
    None. I need your vote in this poll— I'm no longer the only one to summon when a ruleslaywer discussion is at hand ;)
  • TheEroticHamTheEroticHam Member Posts: 2
    I voted no. Leave it alone please, hairs are being split here in the extreme. First of all, I'd like to point out that it's literally impossible to get your constitution score to those numbers in vanilla BG 1, 2, or even ToB without cheating. The very maximum constitution score that could be reached fairly would be around 21 I believe. Anything else would be a result of spawning in con-books through CLUAConsole or savegame editors. Needless to say if you're doing that you're obviously not very concerned with maintaining the difficulty or balance of the game anyway. The only exception to this would be buffs from the slayer transformation or righteous might, but both of those effects have a very limited duration, and by the time you are of an appropriate level to be casting them that tiny little regeneration will be absolutely meaningless to your character.

Yes, Baldur's gate is based upon 2nd edition dungeons and dragons, but does not follow its rules entirely. It is still a unique beast of it's own; much like Neverwinter nights and 3.0 dnd these games are still very different and with reason in mind. I do not believe Baldur's gate was ever mean to precisely mirror 2nd edition dnd, but rather follow the rules as closely as possible while still keeping it fun. (I'd really rather not have to bother carrying around rations, lockpicks, changes of clothes, or calculate the carry weight of all the gold I have when I play this game either) There are two reasons why this rule is different than in the core rulebook, convenience and the ability of a player to actually notice it.

If we follow the train of thought you are making, why not break open the bank the rest of the rules? I totally and completely understand why some PnP rules had to be changed for a video game. In those cases I can't argue because it's a different medium. Regeneration is not something that had to be changed.

As far as I'm concerned, the reason we don't "break the bank" on everything else is because there's no need to, and that would be ridiculous. What you said is not an argument. Going along that train of logic is like saying you need to stab someone because they got a paper cut. This game is already made, this is already coded in, and it's incredibly insignificant albeit slightly interesting. Ultimately though, this really doesn't matter to your style of play. It's just a little flavor feature added in, and while maybe it didn't /expressly/ need to be changed from pen and paper's rules I think it's certainly an improvement.

The regeneration feature is more /tangible/ in its current incarnation in a pc game than it would be if changed in accordance to the proposals here. This feature will literally be indistinguishable in it's usefulness to a player if the suggested changes come into effect. A 20 con mechanics-wise would be the same as 25 with regards to the regeneration, or at least it may as well be. It would become a "click the rest button or go travel somewhere to be healed" ability. I know for a fact no one is going to go buff their con and stand around staring at a screen for an hour to watch their pc be healed when they just as easily click the "rest" button, or cast spells, or anything like that. In pnp, where a dungeonmaster can simply say, "four hours, fifteen minutes minutes, or ten days pass" and allow for circumstances where regen rules have merit and use if you ever somehow managed to get your score that high there is no such simple mechanic in this computer game that does this. At least right now it adds a little flavor as it is for someone playing through BG 1 at low levels. This thread just doesn't make sense to me.

Plus, I don't like the argument about it's usefulness because characters are already overpowered in the game compared to PnP, even without the regeneration bonus. While this may only be considered a minor thing, or something that only rarely applies, the little things add up.

If you're really worried about this then don't cheat and buff your character's con to high heaven, and it will never be an issue. This little thing will never "add up" in your "arcadey" equation, I promise. You're really getting carried away.

This feature only exists for when players want to play a character with super high ability scores. I believe it was intentionally implemented the way it was to actually be noticeable and tangible. It does not detract from the game in any way whatsoever for those that prefer the vanilla experience, but it certainly would for the former type of player if it was changed.

I think there about a million better things the staff could focus their efforts on than this. Getting upset about it is like worrying about a drop of food coloring put in the Pacific. Just let it go please.
    edited December 2012
    @TheEroticHam

You have the passion of a man who enjoys his characters 20+ constitution.

Why implement a rule system that you're not going to follow and why was this one particular rule not followed if it's so insignificant as you say? Plus as I mentioned, all other attribute rules were implemented per PnP, so I have made a good case to fix it because it's more likely this was implemented wrong rather than changed on purpose.

Mods/devs

Could we have this added to the bug tracker please?
  • claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    edited December 2012
    I want them to fix the bug not letting me get my thieves skills back after dual classing first. I can see both sides to follow pnp or to give us our 'power fix' and let us heal a hp in a battle haha.
  • TheEroticHamTheEroticHam Member Posts: 2
    Bwahahaha!

What can I say? I like to keep my options open. I've also been thinking of making an Abdel clone to mirror the Bhaalspawn protagonist from the novel series. He could heal super fast in the books, to the point to where a snapped spine was a momentary inconvenience. I think the 25 con would simulate that pretty well.
    Just CLUAConsole a couple regen rings if you want the regen that bad.
  • SecriaSecria Member Posts: 85
    I'm in. Not that it will affect me in any way, I don't think I ever reached that high constitution when playing the game normally.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Normally, I lean toward PnP rules. Not for this one.

Time runs very differently in a PnP game.

- You can burn away the clock just roleplaying and interacting with characters and things.
    - You can tell the DM "we're just going to wait in this room for a couple hours" and you fast forward to when you're done waiting.
    - There are many more non-combat events that occur and take time.
    - Searching rooms for traps and treasure in PnP often takes hours.

Large chunks of time can evaporate in PnP. All things considered, the faster regeneration pace is very appropriate for how timing must be interpreted in a video game where the rate of encountering physical danger can be much "faster."
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    if you push it, you can actually hit 25 con in Tob ( be a dwarf with 19 in bg1, get tome, hits 20, bg2 do trial that gives +2 con, equals 22, machine of lum the mad, equals 23, axe of the unyielding+5 and buddy-buddy's ioun stone, hits 25 con, but again, this is only going to be one character, i say keep the regen the way it is
    edited December 2012

- You can burn away the clock just roleplaying and interacting with characters and things.
    - You can tell the DM "we're just going to wait in this room for a couple hours" and you fast forward to when you're done waiting.

Large chunks of time can evaporate in PnP. All things considered, the faster regeneration pace is very appropriate for how timing must be interpreted in a video game where the rate of encountering physical danger can be much "faster."

They took all that into consideration when building the BG time system which runs at 10x PnP time. The Con regen bonus does not match the accelerated time, it runs on it's own time. The times I provided would fix it so regen runs at the same accelerated rate the rest of the time in BG runs.

In BG 20 CON provides the same regen bonus (in terms of game time) as 25 CON does on PNP. Hell if you want to do that, why don't we have 18 INT in BG give the same bonuses as 23 Int in PnP. It's the exact same thing. It quickly gets out of control. If you say "we want to follow the way PnP handles attributes" why is CON regen singled out as not doing so? If you don't want to follow the way PnP handles attributes then let's increase everything. Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

There is a difference between rules that cannot be implemented right because this is a video game and rules that are not implemented right for the reason of just not wanting too. I just feel that the more you pick and choose things to change, it cheapens the rules. Plus once you start giving extra bonuses here, bonuses there, they're no longer bonuses. Ever heard the saying "When everything's on sale, nothing's on sale."
    edited December 2012
    I've edited the post to better explain the issue.
    Just in case the devs don't implement this (which is likely), I'll tag @Wisp for inclusion in a future aTWEAKS's component ;)
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Take note, without magical items, no one can even attain natural regen. Dwarves and Half-orcs require a manual that should be ridiculously rare and hard to obtain (instead of being a simple walk from the prelude), and other can attain it via a manual + items, but the main issue it's not supposed to be easily attained, but in BG it is.

And even then, the regen is more a perk for transitions or rest attempts, if you're having to hide in a corner and let your hp regen, you've apparently messed up majorly in some way.

Of course I'm all for making the game more PnP-like. There's quite a few ridiculously overpowered things that shouldn't be that way, and other things that are nerf'd that shouldn't be.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    I wouldn't mind a change to the mechanics, so long as it has specific attention drawn to it in the patch/update notes. I am used to Kagain (or any other Dwarf or Half-Orc I play) to gradually regenerate health while scouting, looting, or simply adventuring. It wouldn't affect my gameplay heavily (except perhaps I would use less Larloch's on Kagain before adventuring), but it would a bit. As long as I am aware of the change if/when it happens, I won't have an issue.

If the change doesn't happen, I can happily continue my torture of Kagain for an increase in healing for the entire party :D

Again, main point, I don't care either way, I just want to be aware of what is accurate when/if a change happens/doesn't happen.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102

Just in case the devs don't implement this (which is likely), I'll tag @Wisp for inclusion in a future aTWEAKS's component ;)

Well, there is always the original edition, so I guess I will add it to the next version.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited December 2012

My theory for why this was implemented incorrectly is that he intention was to set 20 Con = 60 as in 6.0 Turns, 21 Con = 50 (5.0 turns) etc., which would of been the right value. I don't think it's a coincidence but rather an original development error on timekeeping.

Nowhere are numbers with decimals used in the BG/BG2 rule tables. I'd label this as a specious argument, but I'm not even sure it even rises to that level.

BG is not PnP, folks. The devs took many liberties with the rules and this is simply another example.
    Post edited by CamDawg on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

They took all that into consideration when building the BG time system which runs at 10x PnP time. The Con regen bonus does not match the accelerated time, it runs on it's own time. The times I provided would fix it so regen runs at the same accelerated rate the rest of the time in BG runs.

In BG 20 CON provides the same regen bonus (in terms of game time) as 25 CON does on PNP. Hell if you want to do that, why don't we have 18 INT in BG give the same bonuses as 23 Int in PnP. It's the exact same thing. It quickly gets out of control. If you say "we want to follow the way PnP handles attributes" why is CON regen singled out as not doing so? If you don't want to follow the way PnP handles attributes then let's increase everything. Do you see the point I'm trying to make?

There is a difference between rules that cannot be implemented right because this is a video game and rules that are not implemented right for the reason of just not wanting too. I just feel that the more you pick and choose things to change, it cheapens the rules. Plus once you start giving extra bonuses here, bonuses there, they're no longer bonuses. Ever heard the saying "When everything's on sale, nothing's on sale."
    I'm not talking about time in the discrete mathematical sense (where I would agree wholeheartedly with your point). I'm talking about time in a more abstract sense where the passage of time is measured by "how many events occur within a period" as opposed to "how many ticks of the clock are in a period."

In PnP, due to roleplaying influences and things I listed above, very few events can occur within a period of time.
    In BG, being much more trap/danger/combat oriented, a large number of events can occur in a short period of time.

Since the rate of events in PnP is often relatively small, a slow regeneration is well calibrated to the rate at which (dangerous) encounters are met.
    Since the rate of events in BG is often relatively high, a faster regeneration is well calibrated to the rate at which (dangerous) encounters are met.

Also, I'm not convinced that a mathematical approach is best for this because the way a player experiences time between the two games is in no way analogous.
    edited December 2012
    For those who have not done so, go and read the "Welcome to Baldur's Gate" introduction in the manual. The intention of this game was to bring the D&D rules to a computer game. With respect to that and to maintain the spirit of the game, I believe believe in cases where the rules could be implemented to PnP specifications they should. The exception to the rules should be only cases were implementing the rules is impossible or that it breaks the (video) game.

Lets not forget this is a D&D game for a reason, ie., to use the D&D rules. When the original developers chose to build this game a decision had to made, either attempt to faithfully follow the rules were possible or to not not try to faithfully follow the rules when possible. What do you guys think they chose?

Liberties were made because this is a video game and some things just needed to be changed, I'll give you that. However, BG has a clearly defined time keeping system to use in which regeneration could be matched to that exactly as PnP intended, as the majority of the attribute bonuses in the game follow PnP or are as close as you can implement in a video game.
    @bigdogchris, you seem really into this idea. I'm wondering, ignoring the BG thing for a while; why do you think the writers of 2nd Ed set the regeneration rates to where they're written rather then being faster or slower?
    edited December 2012
    I think one of the reasons we're butting heads on this is because BG always keeps track of time even standing still, where in PnP many only keep track of rounds and turns. In that case, what you say about spending hours doing very little (and not keeping track of time) your point is taken and probably right. However in a game like BG where time constantly runs and automatically tracked for you I see zero reason why regeneration was not properly implemented.

If you want to use the argument you make that things taking longer in PnP, I say the regeneration should be flipped so that you regen faster in PnP than in the game. If in the game you're already on an accelerated clock, even at the PnP rates, you're going to see regeneration much faster than PnP.

How does your argument make sense that a guaranteed time keeping, running at 10x the speed of PnP, "isn't enough" boggles me. In PnP many don't track time and there is no guaranteed recovery, for the points you just made, thus the increase regen time would be much more noticeable in PnP than the game.

The choice is to either faithfully attempt to follow the rules or just blow everything open and change whatever you want to make characters more powerful.

If we're going to take the route of what you and some other board members want which is to do whatever you want rather than follow the rules the game is based on, then lets just start giving huge bonuses across the board because who here can label themselves as the judge to determine what is balanced and what's not. I clearly see a lot of unbalance suggested. If you faithfully follow the rules whenever possible you completely take the balance concerns off the table as you're simply following the pre-determined rules you licensed to use.

The reason I'm "into it" is because I don't like seeing every change made as a benefit (more power) to players. I'd like to see people challenge themselves and to check their 'power gamer' attitudes at the door when making game design choices, but I simply don't see it. It's easy to make decisions to give you more power but how about making a decision that may take away power for once?

I'm not full of it either. I started a thread about faithfully following the rules, the majority want to, yet when I start this thread and another one about Monks, I get heavy resistance to making changes because very few people seem to be able to give up something they already have.

• claudiusclaudius Member Posts: 82
    I think the intent is to have fun and that is my paradigm. I'm not saying one or the other is better I am just saying what my yardstick is. My yardstick is different from bigdogs in that for me it is not hugely important that the pen and paper be followed. I buy the argument that Baldur's Gate has more events and is more geared towards combat.

To each his/her own.