Skip to content

Is there a way of seeing all the traps in the game using NearInfinity?

Basically, I'm trying to figure out where all the traps (both floor and containers) are in BG1, especially the early game. I'd like to figure out the minimum skill points I'd need invested at varying points in the game. Obviously things like Durlag's tower would be put off til near the end. I'm also interested in the same info for Open Locks. I don't know my way around NearInfinity very well but given the massive scope of the project, if someone could just give me the info to get started I can pursue it at my leisure.

Basically, this is part of a larger project where I'm trying to figure out how to progress through the game without missing any traps or locks, but minimizing my point investment in those skills that I can always be investing as many points as possible in the less essential skills (I'd like to do a run with a swashie who's always investing in Pick Pockets as much as feasible, and I imagine this info would also be super useful to anyone playing a Shadowdancer and trying to max their Stealth skills.)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300

Basically, I'm trying to figure out where all the traps (both floor and containers) are in BG1, especially the early game. I'd like to figure out the minimum skill points I'd need invested at varying points in the game. Obviously things like Durlag's tower would be put off til near the end. I'm also interested in the same info for Open Locks. I don't know my way around NearInfinity very well but given the massive scope of the project, if someone could just give me the info to get started I can pursue it at my leisure.

Basically, this is part of a larger project where I'm trying to figure out how to progress through the game without missing any traps or locks, but minimizing my point investment in those skills that I can always be investing as many points as possible in the less essential skills (I'd like to do a run with a swashie who's always investing in Pick Pockets as much as feasible, and I imagine this info would also be super useful to anyone playing a Shadowdancer and trying to max their Stealth skills.)

Thanks in advance!

AFAIK any trap or lock before TotSC can be dealt with with a 70% score.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    There are two kinds of traps: containers and area (floor) traps. Both types are defined in the area file.

For example, look at the first underground area of Durlag's Tower, ar0501. (Complete area listing can be found in the IESDP.) Area regions are known as 'triggers' in NI; if you look in ar0501 you'll find 'testtrap 1', 'testtrap 2', 'lightning trap 1' and 'lightning trap 2' regions. Note that the 'is trapped' field is set to yes and the 'trap detectable' flags are set for these, and then there are two fields for detection difficulty and removal difficulty. Same deal for containers. Looking at 'Container 6', you'll see that the 'is trapped' is set to yes and then there are difficulties set for detection and removal.

Now a couple of notes--a detection or removal score of exactly 100 means a trap can't be removed/detected; the absence of a 'detectable' flag means the same. For example, the traps in the Sarevok final battle area (ar0125) can't be detected or removed. It can also be because a scripted event (not a trap) is meant to be run when the region is entered or the container opened. For example, BG has 'trap' regions to spawn guards to attack low-reputation parties; check the rep traps in north Baldur's Gate, ar0200.

One thing that is going to help your quest is that you can use NI to search through a specific field. If you select the detection or removal difficulty field, you can use the 'Find' > selected attribute button at the bottom to search all of these fields in the game. Searching for >0 will give you a list of all values in the field, essentially giving you all difficulties in the game, which you can then sort in ascending order to figure out what you need and when.
  • ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    In the original game traps in area (ar0125) at least can be detected. Why has this changed?
    Nothing was changed. It's always been a mix of undetectable and unremovable traps.
  • ClubbothClubboth Member Posts: 60
    Well, undetectable is undetectable, but I was asking, because the detectable traps in the original game in ar0125 "my" Imoen - with 100% in finding and removing traps - can not disarm them. I think that is what You mean with unremovable (but detected) traps.
    Clubboth said:

Well, undetectable is undetectable, but I was asking, because the detectable traps in the original game in ar0125 "my" Imoen - with 100% in finding and removing traps - can not disarm them. I think that is what You mean with unremovable (but detected) traps.

Yeah, exactly--all the traps on the Bhaal logo in the middle can be detected, but not disarmed. The ones on the edge that spawn battle horrors can't even be detected.