Skip to content

[Linux] Four computers, three work, one was working, now does not

My family purchased one copy on Steam to test it out. Worked fine. Then we got another. Worked fine. Then two more. Worked fine. All four copies installed on four different computers - all Linux, all working.

But suddenly Neverwinter Nights on computer #2 stopped working. Whenever we try to launch the game from Steam, a box pops up that says "Preparing to launch Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition..." Then nothing. It was working on that computer, but now is not. It is still working on our other three computers.

Things we've tried:
1) Looked at recent nwnmain-crash logs. Decided these were unrelated due to wrong date... too long ago.
2) Looked at nwclientError1.txt. Empty.
3) Looked for other log files.
4) Following directions on this website, removed the nwn.ini file.
5) Uninstalled and reinstalled the game through Steam
6) Rolled back some of the recent Linux updates.

Are there other crash logs somewhere? If not, the application really needs them, because I can't tell what's wrong.

I've read other people say they've run the executable directly in the terminal to get error messages. I assume they mean "nwnmain-linux"? Tried that but it didn't do anything. Nothing happens.

Any help or suggestions appreciated! I don't want to buy another computer just to play NWN. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nivniv Member, Moderator, Developer Posts: 410
    Hi there,

sorry to hear you're having trouble.

There's no crash logs besides the ones in the user directory. If those are not being written, it suggests the game doesn't even get to run.

- What exactly happens when you run nwmain-linux from the shell? Make sure you are in the same directory as the binary, as it looks for data files based on the working directory. Then just type ./nwmain-linux.

- What OS are you on? Ubuntu 18.x? Try turning off Griefland Wayland. https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-disable-wayland-and-enable-xorg-display-server-on-ubuntu-18-04-bionic-beaver-linux

• BrazosnetBrazosnet Member Posts: 2
    We did get it working by again reinstalling Linux. Not sure what happened, but it's working again - so that's good enough for us.

Unfortunately, we did that before trying your suggestions above, so we don't know if that would have worked or not.

Thank you for trying to help Niv.