Skip to content

Reconstituting the DMFI Design Team

As a follow-up to the discussion about a revived DM-Friendly Initiative (DMFI) on the Beamdog DM forum, I want to highlight the goal of reconstituting the DMFI Design Team. What does the Design Team do?

The primary Design Team product has always been the Wands and Widgets package, currently on version 1.09. The main idea for an official new 1.10 update will be to implement any minor fixes identified as needed, optimize code to the extent possible, review the install process to make sure it is as easy as possible to do in both existing and new mods, and ideally add a couple of the top functions/features that may be in high demand by the multiplayer community. In the longer term, there will naturally be scope for creativity with new functions and perhaps some redesign. That would include taking full advantage of any new NWN:EE functions going forward.

Different past versions of the script package have typically been produced by just one or two (competent and well-organized) scripters, although there’s always room for multiple contributors, whether as active developers or code submitters. Ideally a new team (and/or one interested and motivated person designated as Team Lead) will be able to first take a look at upgrading and releasing to the community a version 1.10 of the DMFI W&W package, as detailed above. After that, I envision the project evolving further in tandem with NWN:EE. Along those lines, I think it will be important for Design Team members to interact with Beamdog on DM/multiplayer-related scripting issues and keep up with the latest planned changes.

Anyone interested in joining the Design Team or contributing to its work is welcome to post here and/or PM me for further discussion about the role. The DMFI has always had a collegial structure, so I would say there’s no pressure involved, just the opportunity to contribute based on your interests. Additional info about the DMFI can be found at its home on NWN Campaigns.