Skip to content

Attribute cap?

Is there a max or cap when rolling attibutes? For example: is it possible to roll 18 on STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS and CHA?

Comments

• ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    No known cap, but also afaik no known cases of anyone ever having rolled a perfect 108. Though it is exceedingly unlikely.
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    In theory, there isn't any max cap when rolling attributes, so a perfect 108 should be possible. Odds of that happening however are ridiculously small, maybe smaller than winning the lottery. So yeah :P
  • ClackusClackus Member Posts: 4
    Ok, thanks
  • LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    Im not a mathematician, but i would assume it is possible but so absolutely unlikely that chances are bigger that female aliens that all look like Summer Glau naked will bring you a working version of BGEE 45 minutes before it is released.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Is your avatar a Half-Orc Bush?

O_o

• MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    All 14s - 15s is possible withing about 5 minutes of rerolling, I wouldnt waste time rolling for more.
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    On the old Bioware forums I remember there were a few maths gurus who had figured out the exact mechanics of the rolling attributes (it is not that simple) and calculated the maths for the probabibilites of several draws or series, for several class/races.
  • LanatirLanatir Member Posts: 33
    Ascerion said:

Is your avatar a Half-Orc Bush?

O_o

no reason to insult half-orcs
    lol....
    Avatar is kinda both Bush and Orc
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    In game, the maximum cap on any attribute is 25.
  • crawlkillcrawlkill Member Posts: 71
    Does Baldur's Gate use a 3d6 statgen, or 4d6 discarding the lowest? With 3d6, the odds of rolling a single eighteen if you were just rolling one stat (essentially, the odds of your rolling an 18 on your first stat) would be (1:6)^3, or... .4629%. So that's not hot to start with. The odds of rolling ALL 18s are then very easy to calculate: the odds of an event happening X times in a row are just the odds of that event happening once multiplied by itself X times, so it's just .004^6, which is...4.09600 × 10^(-15). Or (4.09600 x 10^-13))%. I don't know how that compares to the odds of all of the molecules in your hostess' underwear simultaneously jumping three feet to the left, but it's not great.

If it's 4d6 dropping the lowest--and from that math, it sounds to me more like it IS 4d6 dropping the lowest, because I feel like 18s turn up way more than one time in two hundred fifty rolls--then I'm afraid I've exhausted my memories of high school stats. Anyone else remember better how "at least three of four one in six chances turning up" odds work?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    @crawlkill : as far as I know, every single stat roll below 75 is instantly discarded by the game.
    Ooh. Well that makes it infinitely more complicated. No idea! But the answer is clearly in the vicinity of "don't waste your life that way sister just open Gatekeeper and edit your stats up god damn everybody'd think you had anyway."
    ...wait, does that change the odds of your seeing a max-stats roll or not? It...reduces the number of non-max-stat rolls that you'll see, but it's still a six-sided die being rolled to...ugh. MATHS.