Skip to content

Ongoing frustrations starting Black Pits 2 on Mac OSX (5 years on)

GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
OK, rounding up for effect, my original post was 4 years and 4 months ago:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/33634/frustration-starting-black-pits-2?

As far as I can tell, nothing about the transition from BP1 to BP2 has become any easier in 8 patches since then. I still have no clue where my save games are stored, and spend a good 1/2 hour flailing on Google, before coming up with my own arcane tricks to find the save game folder for BP1. When I get to BP2, as this is my first game, I still have no clue what that saved game should be, so go through the whole spoiler-tastic start a new game, go through 5 minutes of unstoppable cut scene plus combat, fail to save when control is first handed to me, wait a bit, then finally quick-save to create the necessary folder.

Finally secure in the right folder names, I copy my end-game save over from BP1, import into BP2, and of course this is still a crash-to-desktop, as if transferring end-game saves from the previous game is so unexpected it deserves a proper crash rather than simply giving a message about incompatible game formats. Of course, the file formats are compatible enough for my save game to show up on the load screen, identifying my party, but not enough to actually use that save file to import the characters from on the New Character screen when making a new game.

So we are back to finding a /different/ save folder, exporting the six PCs, one by one, transferring all those files over to a new area in the new game (better make and export a character here too, or else how would I know the right folder name again) and FINALLY I can create a new game and import my PCs, and continue their quest into The Black Pits 2.

Of course, this process has taken most of an hour, I have not actually followed through on the export one-by-one step yet as, after losing the will to live, I have also run out of gaming time and need to head into work - so I get to relearn this all over again when I next have time to brave starting the game, knowing it will be a non-trivial exercise.

At least the character import bugs from the previous rant should have been solved by now, although apparently the cleric/thief STILL cannot unlock checks and doors, if that is the main thief of your party.

When one of the key selling points of your game is the ability to grow and transition a PC/party from one game ito the next, why oh why must the process be so darned painful?

For future reference (as I am sure I will hit this post next time I Google how to do this), the save file locations for BGEE are: (and note that Mojave makes it super-hard to get a simple copy/paste of a directory name from finder too - more frustration, but I'll direct that ire at Apple)

/Users/[[UserName]]/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition/bpsave

Of course, this is not the folder you will need for exporting your characters, as that is save games.

Similarly, save games for BP2 are stored in:

/Users/[[UserName]]/Library/Containers/com.beamdog.baldursgateIIenhancededition/Data/Documents/Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition/bpsave

You now have sufficient info to reproduce the crash - I will follow-up with actual directions for successfully exporting/importing characters and starting a game (for my own future benefit) when I have another free gaming time slot to try again.