Skip to content

Android - "Smaller Joystick control area" discussion

Smaller area control area card

I'd much prefer an option to turn the joystick off entirely, so that the entire screen can be used for "move to pointer". I don't find the joystick useful in any way - it just turns part of the screen into a minefield for mistakes in movement, which can be especially unhelpful during combat or dealing with other hazards.

This could also be an enabler for unlocking the camera - swipe up and down for pitch, side to side for angle and pinch for zoom.

Currently, the camera is restricted to a fairly tight range, with zoom and pitch interlocked. There are situations, especially in custom modules, where unlocking the camera is a must. For example, if enemies are gathering on the horizon, the player needs to be able to see them in order to fire missiles. Right now, on the Android version, the horizon view is severely limited, so the player has to work around this - for example, by scouting, then luring the enemies towards a prepared defensive position.

I've tested the camera script functions. They all seem to work on the Android version, so, for example, cutscenes are fine. It's also possible to script a tool that freely adjusts the pitch and zoom. So, on Android, the engine evidently still works with the full camera range, it's just that the interface has nerfed it at present.

I guess I could publish a tool of that sort as a mod, but that seems a shame when the functionality is already in the game.

You might want to make a separate card for that!