Skip to content

Disabling pickpocketing while keeping the rest of the thievery functionality?

Hi. So the bards have the thievery button, but it greys out when hovering over a lock or a trap and only works for pickpocketing. I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to do the reverse - grey out thieving on characters while enabling thieving on locks and traps. Is this doable, and if so, how would I go about doing it? I know I can disable thieves putting points in the relevant skill, but that still allows them to make an attempt anyway.

Also, how would I disable the steal button in shops?

And finally, bit offtopic, are we able now to swap UI buttons (e.g. switch out guard for turn undead) or is that still hardcoded?

Comments

• GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    edited December 2018
  • AllbrotherAllbrother Member Posts: 261
    Too bad, thanks
    Yup. Looks like Bubb is going to make this a reality:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1037097#Comment_1037097

You would just need to give the class/kit skill in pick lock and detect traps and remove skill in pick pocket
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    @Grammarsalad are there any tutorial for the lua functions ? Because i like this modification you linked from @Bubb but dont know how to do that.
    Danacm said:

@Grammarsalad are there any tutorial for the lua functions ? Because i like this modification you linked from @Bubb but dont know how to do that.

Sorry if I wasn't clear: this is not available yet. Bubb is working on a thing that is going to make this a thing. Still, it's the most exciting thing since tobex
    As far as a tutorial on Lua functions... I'm not sure. Tbh, it's mostly magic for me at this point. I think the best method to learn it is by checking out existing mods and fiddling with the code to see what happens...
    Thank you the quick answer :)
    edited January 2019
    Danacm said:
    I'm still experimenting with it myself.

I am very interested in giving the bard thieving, so I'll figure it out tomorrow (hopefully), and get back to you. You may only need to install eeex and modify thiefskl.2da and thiefscl.2da. I am thinking about giving bards access to pick pockets, pick lock, and detect illusion, with 1/2 the thief skill %. Something like that. Anyway, I'll get back to you hopefully tomorrow
    @Grammarsalad thank you mate :D
    edited January 2019
    Okay, so it's pretty simple.

One thing to keep in mind: Bubb doesn't have all of the kinks worked out. I can verify that this works on the gog version (on my computer anyway), but I'm not sure about other versions. It looks like the beamdog version in particular is having issues...maybe.

Also, right now this is windows only.

ALso, keep in mind that this is super alpha, so there will almost certainly be bugs.

So, if you don't want to tinker with an alpha version, and possibly have to reinstall the game because it blew up, you should wait until he does have a more stable version ready

This is exe hacking, so it's a bit more risky

So, that said, once you have installed the mod, go into the override folder and find the file titled, "EEex_Brd.lua"

If you want all bard buttons to function as the normal thieving button, remove all reference to a kit:

Change this:
    	if class == 5 and kit == 0x400D then
    		return 4 -- I'm totally a thief
    	else

to this
    	if class == 5 then
    		return 4 -- I'm totally a thief
    	else

(i.e. you are just deleting the "and kit == 0x400D")

You could restrict this functionality to a particular kit by replacing "0x400D" with a kit ids (0x4000 for the base class).

Then, you just add percentage for pick lock in any way you like.

You can make a bard function as a thief (even a full thief if you want) either by changing thiefscl.2da and thiefskl.2da as needed (also probably skillbrd.2da and clasiskl.2da) or just adding skill percentage points by clab for a set progression like pick pocket works for the standard bard
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, that's another fun thing about this mod. You can alter thiefscl.2da and thiefskl.2da to asign thief skill percentage points to any class you like (presumably--i've only experimented with the Inquisitor and bard) as a normal thief does
    edited January 2019
    Nice work :D i try it tomorrow. I know how to modify it in NI, but with this mod, there will be a percentage menu when i level up, or use the level based fix rates ?

Btw i think i only use it for disable traps andlocks. And maybe for add rangers the find trap :D
    Danacm said:

Nice work :D i try it tomorrow. I know how to modify it in NI, but with this mod, there will be a percentage menu when i level up, or use the level based fix rates ?

Btw i think i only use it for disable traps andlocks. And maybe for add rangers the find trap :D

Yup, all of that should be doable. Definitely try it, but as far as I know, you can't extend skillbrd.2da to include other thief skills like disable traps. I think you will need to actually create the spl files that give bonuses to the skills if you want a 'set' increase like the bards pick pocket skill in vanilla. Maybe start with any 'AP_' spl, change to a set bonus to the relevant skill, rename the file to anything less than 8 characters (don't forget a prefix if you're going to release as a mod), and apply to the relevant class as AP_ abilities.

If you want to increase the percentage by different amounts--e.g. +5% at 2nd level, +6% at 3rd level--you need a unique spell for every unique % increase.

Honestly, it's actually easier to do it as a 'normal' thief, or perhaps as the monk, where the character can distribute the points as they see fit. You can do the whole thing in weidu.