Skip to content

NPC Mod that feels like an NPC from vanilla BG? Thoughts?

Hey all! I've had this idea kicking around for quite a long time now, but I never thought I was up to making a fully fleshed NPC mod. However, with all the resources and great guides on how to accomplish this, I think it might actually be quite doable.

I've played BG2 more times than I can count. And while I enjoy nearly all the companions you can travel with, I've grown pretty bored of a lot of them. That's why I think NPC mods are so great. My problem, however picky I know it is, is that NPC mods are usually glaringly different from all the other companions in the game. And it's not always the writing, but simple things like the portraits or the NPC being unvoiced. I know being different is sometimes the point of NPC mods, but imo when I play a game I don't want a mod to feel super obvious.

That's why I was curious if anyone had any interest in the creation of an NPC that fits as seamlessly as possible into the game, and doesn't stand out or distract too much from the overarching story. Fully, professionally voiced (including the first line of every personal dialogue shared with the NPC as per BG2's vanilla companions), an unaltered original commissioned portrait in a similar style to the vanilla portraits, a character that adds to the story but who's dialogue isn't so obviously different from the vanilla game's, etc. Things like this would be the intent behind the mod.

Like I said, I think all the NPC mods that already exist are incredibly impressive and entertaining. I just thought it would be interesting to attempt a project with this specific goal in mind, if people find it intriguing. As far as I know there hasn't been an NPC mod created like this before, unless I've missed something super obvious.

Tell me what you all think, and anything that you would like to see from an NPC like this if this becomes something I intend to take on.

Comments

• MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    edited January 2019
    Well, I think that every single modder created additional companions had in mind the very idea you just expressed - to make something fitting the game. But original NPCs (especially in in BG1. Ok, mostly in BG1) were far from chatty of even developed. So, every single modder ended up with adding more of the fun parts (personal quests, interactions with CHARNAME, banters) ending as a result with yet another standing out companion.

To create something authentic one has to limit himself in areas of logic (see "BG logic thread), wordiness, and everything fun about companions (limit, not remove it). VERY hard to do for a creative person.

I'd say, perfect "extenders" (and they ARE great) of existing official companions do better thing - they bring old NPCs to the level of modern companions.

Ever thought about fleshing out someone already written? As a practice, may be?
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    Mirandel said:

Well, I think that every single modder created additional companions had in mind the very idea you just expressed - to make something fitting the game. But original NPCs (especially in in BG1. Ok, mostly in BG1) were far from chatty of even developed. So, every single modder ended up with adding more of the fun parts (personal quests, interactions with CHARNAME, banters) ending as a result with yet another standing out companion.

To create something authentic one has to limit himself in areas of logic (see "BG logic thread), wordiness, and everything fun about companions (limit, not remove it). VERY hard to do for a creative person.

I'd say, perfect "extenders" (and they ARE great) of existing official companions do better thing - they bring old NPCs to the level of modern companions.

Ever thought about fleshing out someone already written? As a practice, may be?

I'm sure all BG2 NPCs have been modded, but Minsc and Korgan don't ring any bells.