Skip to content

what was the purpose of this pre-order...?

CountCrowleyCountCrowley Member Posts: 2
I always thought, that one of the purposes of getting pre-order and pre-load was to avoid scenarios like the one that is happening now...I pre-ordered my game, before 1st release date(Sept), what for...?
BTW: I remember that Trent mentioned some extras for those who pre-ordered before the 18th Sept....what about it, huh?
Damn, sorry, for that but I am frustrated :( I want to play this game again and to feel like being in college again!

Comments

• ShellyShelly Member Posts: 14
    Personally I'm wondering why I'm being forced to redownload the entire fracking game. It was preloaded days ago. WTF, man? For real. It's bad enough that your servers are dead, but this is just a total facedesk.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    You won't be redownloading the entire game - or at least, you shouldn't be. The loader client operates on a sort of torrent-based system, so, it should verify your existing files and then download what it's missing. We're a small company and trying our best to keep up with demand - it's only now that things are starting to get back under control.

All I can do is apologize for the inconvenience - I know you guys are excited for the game, and we want you to be able to play, too!
    I know that I'm not supposed to be, that was the point of pre-loading it, but it is anyway. /shrug Pointless. I don't know why I can't just skip the launcher, but whatever. It is what it is.
  • Jean_LucJean_Luc Member Posts: 228
    You're confusing pre-ordering with pre-loading but I suppose your question is still valid.
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    I am downloading from scratch now, I had it downloaded but when I pressed play entire game crashed, tried everything to get it working, starting with admin, and comparability mode. Very frustrated :(
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    I thought it went pretty well, considering the volume of people. It took me three days to preload. It took 2 hours to be able to play.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Shelly said:

I know that I'm not supposed to be, that was the point of pre-loading it, but it is anyway. /shrug Pointless. I don't know why I can't just skip the launcher, but whatever. It is what it is.

Once the game's installed and working, you can actually just launch the game using baldur.exe under "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766" in program files, which will launch the game without opening the launcher. If you use shortcuts, I actually suggest placing a shortcut to the exe on your desktop, and just using the launcher periodically to check for updates.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    About 4:30 PM EST my BGEE updater connected and downloaded the remaining 100 MB at around 800KB/s.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    I think people had some unrealistic expectations about the launch. This is just the reality of digital delivery. You have to download stuff, and that takes time. If there are a metric-assload of people downloading the same stuff, it takes longer.

Today would have been much worse without the preload.
    Aosaw said:

Shelly said:

Once the game's installed and working, you can actually just launch the game using baldur.exe under "Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766" in program files, which will launch the game without opening the launcher. If you use shortcuts, I actually suggest placing a shortcut to the exe on your desktop, and just using the launcher periodically to check for updates.
    Thanks for the informative post. I wish that I would have known this earlier, perhaps I could have avoided the situation but that's kind of my fault for hitting the default icon rather than digging. If I try the Baldur.exe now I get a message saying that I've signed out of the Beamdog Player and to sign in and try again. I'm not using the BeamDog thing to begin with. O_o Just the "standalone" patcher.

I don't know what's wrong it. Something's clearly borked. I've opened the patcher off and on since the pre-loading finished days ago just to verify that there were no additional files to download as well as to provide some P2P traffic to others.

/hands in air

I surrender any hope of taking part in the pre-order experience. I expect this from MMOs, but.. well, I am thoroughly disappointed & bitter but it is what it is.

Thanks again for the informative post, though, I appreciate it.
  • theJoshFrosttheJoshFrost Member Posts: 171
    The point of my pre-order was to spend 18 dollars instead of 20.

I won in that regard.
    Yeah, the $2 discount was a nice extra.

Anyway I was very disappointed last night and I went a little nerd-emo. I'm over it now. Life goes on, and I get to go blow people up as a Wild Mage in BG now. That's kinda cool.. the random "Gender Swap" spell the first time that I cast magic missile on those rats? That was... I mean, those rats not only died, but can you imagine their surprise in their final moments?

I felt sorry for them... and the cats.