Skip to content

No Shiny Water NWN: EE Win10x64

WaltCWaltC Member Posts: 5
Here is my hardware and software environment:

MSI Gaming Pro Carbon AC UEFI bios 2.F0
Corsair CX-750M PSU (62a x1 12v rail)
AMD Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.8GHz, voltage set, 1.385V, 65W TDP
RAM 16GB 2x8GB, Patriot Viper Elite @3200MHz 16 16 16 36 1T
Stock AMD cooler (95W version--thanks AMD!)
LG MultiDrive DVD writer SATA
Boot: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe 250GB (UEFI boot partition)
2x 1TB WD Blue 7200 rpm
ST2000DM SATA III 2TB
ST4000DM004 S3 4TB
AoC U3277PWQU 3840x2160 monitor
AMD RX-590 8GB/RX-480 8GB Crossfire
Realtek 1250 sound w/Nahimic 3
Win10x64 build 18312 UEFI

Adrenalin 19.1.1 GPU drivers--(latest).

Shiny water does not appear to be working at all. Would appreciate some suggestions as to correction--running the latest version of NWN: EE Beamdog has made available on GOG. Thanks! Other than that--game runs fine--but I *want* my shiny water...;) After ATi straightened out Bioware's obvious misapprehension about ATi's hardware being unable to render shiny water in 2002/3, Bioware gave us shiny water...;) NWN isn't NWN without shiny water..!

Comments

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Shiny water is just called that in EE. It's actually a shader that procedurally generates it now. Assuming you're able to render the rest of the game, this is very surprising.
    Can you please post pictures of what you see with "Shiny Water" option enabled vs Disabled.

Also note that some tilesets (most notably the Castle Exterior, Rural, AKA TNO AKA "The WCoC tileset") disable shiny water on purpose. But stuff like regular City Exterior or Rural Exterior have it enabled, so best to test there.
  • WaltCWaltC Member Posts: 5

Shiny water is just called that in EE. It's actually a shader that procedurally generates it now. Assuming you're able to render the rest of the game, this is very surprising.
    Can you please post pictures of what you see with "Shiny Water" option enabled vs Disabled.

Also note that some tilesets (most notably the Castle Exterior, Rural, AKA TNO AKA "The WCoC tileset") disable shiny water on purpose. But stuff like regular City Exterior or Rural Exterior have it enabled, so best to test there.

Yep--it's just a shader. And you hit on my next question--whether it is disabled in certain spots, possibly due to the ambient lighting--like in the initial areas of the game leading into the prison--that area. There are three fountains, none of which exhibit SW---I vaguely recalled from the original game that SW was indeed off in certain places because it wouldn't have looked correct in the dimmed lighting--but I wasn't sure! I'll check the other areas--thanks for the reply!
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Enabling it is a choice made by the 3D artist of that particular model. For placeables and smaller tiles, it's a toincoss whether it's enabled or not. If you go to e.g. the docks area in the original campaign and look at the large body of water, you'll know for sure if it is on or off.
    Most tilesets have it enabled for water - lakes, streams, etc. Except the TNO tileset, because when DLA was making that they thought they could animate their water better than ShinyWater, so they did it manually.
  • DwayneDwayne Member Posts: 102
    There were a lot of problems with shinny water in the past. NWN EE does better than regular nwn with it but you may be better off just disabling it if you have any problems.