Skip to content

Wanting to change class from paladin to ranger in EE Keeper - how?

So. I'm level 4. I have the Steam version of Baldur's Gate EE (with Siege of Dragonspear and latest patches) and the most recent version of EE Keeper (1.0.4.0)

I want to change my current character from a Paladin to a Ranger (base class in both cases, no kit).

I can't work out how to do that safely, in EE Keeper. I am currently level 4, which means I don't have any spells yet: but I do have the innate paladin abilities (which I may need to get rid of) and not the innate ranger abilities.

I want to have the same character attributes (str/dex/con/int/wis/cha) and the same Current XP. I don't have any class-specific equipment.

Are the saving throws any different? What about THAC0? Can I leave those the same?

How do I assign myself a racial enemy? The box appears to be greyed out.

Is there a way to make it auto-calculate which class abilities I should have, based on the changed class?

Or am I better off sticking to Paladin?

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    AFAIK here's what u should do :
    - change class to ranger, change from level 4 to level 1, but keep the XP. That should give you a level 4 ranger with all its abilities.

I that you need to change saving throws and thac0 manually , and delete paladin abilities as well. If you don't remember what are the rangers saves , just start the game with a level 1 ranger and check his stats.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    What you should do is create a level 1 ranger, then EEKeeper his XP to level 4, then reenter the game and level him up "officially" to 4.

Then, go back into EEKeeper, open both saves, and manually change your saves, class features, etc.
  • JLEJLE Member Posts: 58
    That's actually pretty much what I did, except using the in-game cheat commands (which I always enable, but don't use in a proper game). The good thing is that changing from paladin to ranger is a comparatively minor change since they both use the same THAC0 and save table (but the paladin gets a +1 bonus to all saves). It seems to have worked without a hitch.

The reason I wanted to do it is that in BG2, I want to do the ranger stronghold quest, and have already done the paladin stronghold quest...