Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

altering Whips and Flails and Morningstars

CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 135
edited February 1 in General Discussions NWN:EE
I was thinking of making the whip a ranged weapon with infinite ammo, but it would need a fairly short range. Or can I leave it a melee weapon but make it useable from a greater range? I would also like to remove the Disarm feat from the whip and replace it with Improved Disarm. Can I do that just by editing some baseitems.2DA?

Would also like to mod Flails and Morningstars by either adding the Dirty Fighting feat to them or making that feat a requirement for using the weapon in addition to making the weapons Exotic and boosting them up a bit - each will do piercing-bludgeoning damage, x3 on crit but only on a 20, and the Light Flail will be a small lighter weapon that does d6. I think I can do that stuff with just some 2DA edits.

But it would also be nice if I could make them ignore the shield AC contribution - any ideas how I might do that? I like to imagine the weapon being used to wrap over a shield top and land a blow.

Post edited by Calgacus on
Torgrimmer

Comments

• CalgacusCalgacus Member Posts: 135
    I played around with the baseitems.2DA to see if I could change the range of the melee whip by trying different values in the PrefAttackDist   MinRange   MaxRange columns but to no effect - the character always gets up close to the target as if attacking with a dagger.  Is there a way to make melee weapons have a greater range so the character can stand a little further back from the target?  What do the PrefAttackDist   MinRange   MaxRange columns do for melee weapons?

Torgrimmer
    edited February 16
    Actually, I think my game is not picking up my baseitems.2da in my override folder.   I am testing with  the latest dev build through the beamdog client on windows 10.   Which override folder should be used?  I tried it in all 3.   Is it possible to make a melee weapon a two-handed weapon without making it large?  I was trying the weaponweld column, setting it to 4, but as my override does not seem to get picked up I don't know if that will work.

Also, I tried testing in the Retail version and the game upon loading game me the right pointer but nothing but  a white screen while the game seemed to load - I had to use the task manager to kill the game.

Torgrimmer
    I can't seem to get my overrides picked up in a test mod. In order to get picked up the 2DA changes needed to be in a hak pak. Since there are a bunch of override folders now - for retail and dev branch, for beamdog client and steam, what is the right one to use? I tried them all.

Followup question - is there away to change a weapons size via scripting? I want flails and morning stars to be two handed weapons but I want halflings to be able to wield light flails - so i was thinking that when a small creature acquires a light flail the weapon's size can be set to medium and then if later acquired by a medium sized creature it could be reset to large. Or is there another way to force a melee weapon to be a two handed weapon?

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 340
    >Followup question ...

This is only possible with NWNX. Without it, you could have two base items types - identical except for size. And when a creature acquires an item, check their size and if needed destroy the acquired item and create a new one of different type with same name/description/properties/appearance/etc. Messy, but best you can do with stock game.

> [Override] ...

Any override folder should work (though you should use userdir/override/). However override is low priority, so if your module uses haks, or if you use patch-haks, and they use that 2DA, override won't do anything. Both CEP and ProjectQ have their own baseitems.2da which would cause this. Many other haks do as well.

> [Ranged weapons] ...

You cannot make new ranged weapon types. These are very hardcoded. I think you should be able to extend the melee range of a weapon, but I don't remember if I ever did it. I'd have done it by changing the same things you did, so chances are there's something hardcoded there as well.

Hope this helps.

Calgacus
    edited March 1
    Drat, was afraid of that. I guess I could make a script that just prevented medium sized creatures from equipping the small version of the weapon - or giving the small version of the weapon a requirement like Small. Is there a way to give a weapon two mandatory requirement feats in the 2da? so the PC will need both exotic weapon prof and Small stature? Or way to prevent a character from equipping anything in the off-hand when equipping the light flail?

• SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 340
    > Or way to prevent a character from equipping anything in the off-hand when equipping the light flail?

This is easiest. Just an OnEquip script, check if you're equipping in off-hand, check on-hand, unequip and give a message. Something like this:

https://github.com/mtijanic/anphillia/blob/master/core/events/mod_onequip.nss#L94-L100

edited March 1
    Agreed, I added this to my x2_mod_def_equ script above the MODULE_SWITCH_EXECUTE_TAGBASED_SCRIPTS part. Also made the light flail a medium sized weapon and made it equipable only on the right hand slot in the baseitems.2da.
    // PCs use light flails as two handed weapons
        // make sure there is nothing in the offhand if there is a
        // light flail in the right hand
        if( GetItemInSlot( INVENTORY_SLOT_LEFTHAND , oPC) != OBJECT_INVALID){
            if( GetBaseItemType(GetItemInSlot( INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTHAND , oPC)) == BASE_ITEM_LIGHTFLAIL){
                //unequip weapon
                AssignCommand(oPC, ActionUnequipItem(GetItemInSlot( INVENTORY_SLOT_RIGHTHAND, oPC)));
                //say why item was unequipped
                FloatingTextStringOnCreature("Light Flails are two handed weapons.", oPC, TRUE);
            }
        }

PS: but I should I drop the light flail as per the norm when equipping something off hand when holding a two handed weapon.