Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Can Necromancers be good (or at least neutral) ?

I wonder if from a RPing point of view, Gorion's ward could be a Necromancer, and since I think that he should be of Good alignment (or max Neutral), would that make sense ?
We tend to associate Necromancers with Evil, and in the game, characters like Tarnesh or Xzar do indeed confirm this prejudice. But could they be from Good alignment ? Just people so deeply immersed in their research about life and death that they would become a bit disconnected from the reality... but still could be good-orientated people. A bit like Victor Frankenstein in Mary Shelley's book.

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 3,811
    edited February 12
    Yes.

The Complete Book of Necromancers even bring two kits that need to be of good alignment - one of them (Undead Slayer) I've reproduced for the Infinity Engine inside the I Hate Undead kitpack.

ThacoBellStummvonBordwehr
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 41
    Thanks for the info @Raduziel.
    I have found the Complete Book of Necromancers on the Net. But I will try to buy it anyway, I prefer real books ... (perhaps due to my age...).
    And your mod looks very interesting. I will install it.

Raduziel
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 604
    Yeah, they can be good.

Some people argue that the "Animate Dead" spell should only be used by evil aligned characters, since you're desecrating a corpse to create an evil form of unlife. I've never known anybody playing the game to be a stickler for that though.

Necromancers have a whole spellbook outside of the animate dead spell though, so even if that was your view good aligned necromancers are fair game.

It's a little bit frustrating though that all the healing magic, while still considered necromancy, can't be used by a necromancer. For some reason that particular application of necromancy only comes to god freaks. So Necromancers are put into the position of being studied in the many ways one can manipulate the body and soul, but conspicuously ignorant on how to do any kind of body/soul repair. The one application of those kinds of studies that would typically mark one as a force of objective good, if such a thing could be said to exist.

RigellolienThacoBell
    Rigel wrote: »
    Thanks for the info @Raduziel.
    I have found the Complete Book of Necromancers on the Net. But I will try to buy it anyway, I prefer real books ... (perhaps due to my age...).
    And your mod looks very interesting. I will install it.

I would wait a little before installing IHU. I'm updating it ATM; it was my first mod, so a lot of things there are poorly coded or very unbalanced.

I'll put a notice on that mod's thread noticing when I'm ready.

Cheers!

Rigellolien
  • chimaerachimaera Member Posts: 757
    In the context of the game, there are no repercussions to casting necromantic spells. If a cleric of Lathander can animate dead without losing favor from their god, there is no reason why a necromancer doing the same should be of non-good alignment only. However, I don't play pnp, so no idea if this is how it should be, or if it's just wrong implementation. I know in some editions animate dead indeed had the 'evil' tag.

From a roleplaying point of view, I think a good aligned necromancer as Gorion's ward is an interesting concept. Perhaps they had always felt fascinated by death for reasons they didn't understand and had a natural affinity for necromantic spells, and so mastering necromancy as a wizard gave them a measure of control over their divine taint, even before they knew they carried it.

RigelChronicler
    edited February 12
    A good aligned necromancer is what we call a surgeon.

I mean, one of those two kits is basically a surgeon.

• RigelRigel Member Posts: 41
    I hope it is not the general Surgeon of "Give me liberty"....

Raduziel
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 3,849
    There is good synergy for dualing a necromancer into a cleric too. You lose some hit points but it makes your Slay Living and Poison spells much more effective! Too bad you can't dual from cleric to necromancer (without cheating anyway).

TorgrimmerlolienChronicler
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 773
    edited February 12
    This might be relevant to the topic.
    nemc4wwt6xso.png

Raduziel
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 738
    Chronicler wrote: »
    Yeah, they can be good.

Some people argue that the "Animate Dead" spell should only be used by evil aligned characters, since you're desecrating a corpse to create an evil form of unlife. I've never known anybody playing the game to be a stickler for that though.

I don't cast Animate Dead for that reason. For example, the thought of Aerie, a Good elf Cleric, raising undead is something I just can't wrap my head around. Viconia, sure, but she's not Good.

• ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 604
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    There is good synergy for dualing a necromancer into a cleric too. You lose some hit points but it makes your Slay Living and Poison spells much more effective! Too bad you can't dual from cleric to necromancer (without cheating anyway).

Necromancers have a minimum wisdom score of 16, which makes the dual really easy, especially if you plan on using the wisdom tomes.

Alternatively it means they've pretty much got guaranteed good times with the Wish spells when they reach that level.

Balrog99
  • magaritymagarity Member Posts: 47
    Was Dr Frankenstien a chaotic good necromancer? His goal in reanimating the dead was to extend life, not take over the world or somesuch.

StummvonBordwehr