Skip to content

The Fan Games Thread

KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
I thought it may be fun to have a little place dedicated to fan games in general on this forum: a.k.a. non-profit games created by fans, for fans!

For this I'll have to impose one, single, iron rule here:
  1. Please do not ask, share, link, or otherwise mention things that can lead to digital piracy (i.e. whereabouts of ROMS).
    This also includes already patched ROM hacks!
Phew, now with that out of the way... feel free to discuss your favourite fan games!

All genres of any and all franchises are fair game (no pun intended) for this thread. Played something fun recently? Out with it! Got creeped out by certain Shrek fan games? I feel for ya! Or perhaps you've even created a fan game yourself? Please tell us more about it! :)

I'll start: some of you may know this already, but one of my all-time personal fan game favourites is Pokemon Uranium. It's like Pokemon meets Fallout, only without guns. Best of all? Its radioactive Eevee evolution! And I sure as hell got my eye on Phoenix Rising - another "Fakemon" fan game for Windows and Mac in-the-making!
ThacoBellFinneousPJJuliusBorisov

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited February 2019
    I wanna give a shout out to "Lisa the Hopeful". A fan game based on "Lisa the Painful." The original game was an effective character study on failure, with a very bleak tone alleviated by moments of comedy, an Earthbound-y art style, and an absolute love of proffesional wrestling. It stays true to the tone and themes of the original to the point that one could easily mistake it for an official entry in the series. Warning to the curious who haven't looked at the series yet. It explores some very dark themes and can hit you hard emotionally.

Edited to add a link to the game's page here.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    Kamigoroshi
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I've been watching Mother 4's development for years now. Any bets on if it will ever come to light? It looked super promising, but we go for loooooong periods of no news. People speculate everything between "The devs went public too soon, with just a proof of concept" to "The game is officially dead, they just don't wanna say it is."
    Kamigoroshi
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Here's some good news for both World of Darkness players and people who generally enjoy free fan games! :)

There recently has been Vampire JAM 2019. Fans of the WoD franchise had 7 days to make their own little indie game as an reaction to Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines 2. What's so great about it was that even the devs of Bloodlines 2 themselves were highly interested in this JAM and even created a discord server dedicated for it.

My personal favourite is the very well done Santa Monica by Night Point & Click game created by Outstar and Memoriesin8bit. Mainly because it runs natively on Linux and has a GREAT pixel art style! But the fact that it has numerous different endings and mattering player choices surely doesn't hurt either. Here's also a video of Outstar playing her game.

Also tagging @SorcererV1ct0r @DrHappyAngry @FinneousPJ and @Raduziel for... bloody... reasons. :wink:

Apropos:
    Folks can currently vote those fan-made vampire games for the next 11 days. No prices for the winner involved here, but it's still a nice gesture of respect for the various creators.
    RaduzielFinneousPJSorcererV1ct0rThacoBell
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Here's some good news for both World of Darkness players and people who generally enjoy free fan games! :)

There recently has been Vampire JAM 2019. Fans of the WoD franchise had 7 days to make their own little indie game as an reaction to Vampire the Masquarade: Bloodlines 2. What's so great about it was that even the devs of Bloodlines 2 themselves were highly interested in this JAM and even created a discord server dedicated for it.

My personal favourite is the very well done Santa Monica by Night Point & Click game created by Outstar and Memoriesin8bit. Mainly because it runs natively on Linux and has a GREAT pixel art style! But the fact that it has numerous different endings and mattering player choices surely doesn't hurt either. Here's also a video of Outstar playing her game.

Also tagging @SorcererV1ct0r @DrHappyAngry @FinneousPJ and @Raduziel for... bloody... reasons. :wink:

Apropos:
    Folks can currently vote those fan-made vampire games for the next 11 days. No prices for the winner involved here, but it's still a nice gesture of respect for the various creators.

Thanks for letting me know. I find the project interesting, but, I don't think any of the games are my particular cup of tea. I did grow up with side scrollers and old Sierra games, but neither of those genres really does anything for me, anymore. The visual novel format never jibed with me either. Santa Monica By Night does sound kind of interesting, so I fired it up, but can't see myself playing it.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited April 2019
    I an not an big fan of point & click but will check this game. About fan games, i don't remember any good to give an recomendation, except maybe Enderal for skyrim(is an fan game or a mod?)
    FinneousPJKamigoroshi
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I tried Pokemon Uranium and it was pretty good. However IIRC they only have a windows version and I don't really care to play it like that. When they release on android I will be happy to play it on my commute.
    Kamigoroshi