Skip to content

Increasing the Framerate of the game

Has anyone managed to speed up the game? I find it very slow and i'm used to playing at around 50 frames per second.
I noticed that the Config.exe file no longer exists so i went to Baldur.ini and manually set the max frame rate to 50. However when i run the game it's still running at 30 frames like normally.
Anyone got any clues?

Comments

• Bynary_FissionBynary_Fission Member Posts: 202
    I don't even have a baldur.ini in my folder. I play at 60, and 30 is unbearably slow to me.
  • Jared4242Jared4242 Member Posts: 130
    I suggest you run it not in full screen, mine chugged when played in Full screen. Also see the stickied thread about performance issues ;3
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Its simple.. Edit the Baldur.ini file... which is in the documents folder for windows under BGEE...

I suggest using WordPad instead of Notepad to open it, much easier to read that way..

• BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2012
    @Bynary_Fission the baldur.ini is located in c:\Users\(account name)\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\

@Jared4242 it's not really a performance issue, the game is working as intended, however in the original version you could increase all the sprite animation frame rate so that the whole game moved faster. Your characters walk and fight faster etc.
    Elendar said:

Its simple.. Edit the Baldur.ini file... which is in the documents folder for windows under BGEE...

I suggest using WordPad instead of Notepad to open it, much easier to read that way..

em.. i wrote i already did that and it doesn't seem to be working
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I believe they're still working on the framerate thing. I don't recall what about it wasn't working, but there was something funky going on with it that was keeping it from working.
    Well dat's lame....... I can't stand playing the game on frame-rate 30.... it sucks ballz when they move that slow...
    Oh thanks that explains a lot!
  • KortokKortok Member Posts: 165
    I'll wait to play until they get that worked out. 30 framerate is unplayable for me.
  • WhhheatonWhhheaton Member Posts: 6
    I'm thinking its maybe not possible in BG EE...having spent 1/2 an hour (probably more) tweaking the config file - nothing I'm doing affects movement speed, I will post if I can get it to work...
  • WhhheatonWhhheaton Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2012
    Okays...here it is! Edit the ini file (in notepad++) add the two lines into their respective sections
    'Game Options', 'Cheats', '1',
    'Program Options', 'Debug Mode', '1',

Save the ini launch the game load a save game and hold CONTROL+B for a few seconds
    The display will show 'speed xx' cycling from 0 to 22 several times
    Now when you move your wee chap will dart around like batman

Does not seem to be very precise but it works!

(Update: it seems to affect only the character you have currently selected)
    A little half baked I must admit
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Whhheaton

I think I'll just wait but A+ for effort.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    A++ even. Although I thought Flash was the one who darted around like Batman.
    Well, if it only affects your own character(s) its not really the same thing, as the framerate thing upped the speed of all of the monsters too... monsters being slow while you being fast is a bit too much of a cheat (and you might as well just cheat in some boots of speed instead :P ) thanks for effort though.