Skip to content

The new intro movie

Hey,

Finally BGEE! Love the blue, love the new graphics in-game but...

That movie?

It's horrible. It looks like bad flash work, especially the glowing eyes...

Comments

• calebchosencalebchosen Member Posts: 7
    Agreed! Original one looks much better!
  • Tr_ondTr_ond Member Posts: 496
    New one looks great, very happy with it. Nursing a semi thinking about the rest of them.
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    Yep, I like the new one. The old one, if you watch it on YouTube, really isn't as good as we remember it.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    I think the old one was a better movie, but I also think it looks pretty dated now, so I can see why they re-did it.
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    I preferred the old one too.
  • DreamingViksDreamingViks Member Posts: 87
    Yes, the old movie does not really hold up in the graphics department; however. You must consider the emotional impact that the old one had back in the day versus the current one has now.

I am sorry for the artist since I am sure s/he did put in a lot of time but it's very plain. Hardly any emotion conveyed, couldn't they atleast have moved? And the ending, zoning out to the skull... Looks so unorganic. Not a similar shape in any way. Honestly, would u be surprised if a movie like this came from Newgrounds?

Still, I am happy with BGEE!! No flame plz.
  • monitomonito Member Posts: 15
    I like both, to be honest. Though the original has not exactly aged well.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

Yes, the old movie does not really hold up in the graphics department; however. You must consider the emotional impact that the old one had back in the day versus the current one has now.

I am sorry for the artist since I am sure s/he did put in a lot of time but it's very plain. Hardly any emotion conveyed, couldn't they atleast have moved? And the ending, zoning out to the skull... Looks so unorganic. Not a similar shape in any way. Honestly, would u be surprised if a movie like this came from Newgrounds?

Still, I am happy with BGEE!! No flame plz.

Criticising aspects of a game should hardly draw criticism.
  • mibblesmibbles Member Posts: 31
    I was also expecting something more with the intro. It has some good parts, but the nameless Bhaalspawn that gets killed... I expected at least some variation in facial expressions, considering the detailed face. As it is, it seems like they're pretty pictures with some very basic animation added.

It wasn't all bad, though, as I said. I really liked the image of Sarevok's hand. As individual still-pictures, the intro movie works - but with the animation? Eeeh, it leaves a lot to be desired.

When I first heard of the movies being re-done, I had hoped that they either kept it 3D, or that it'd be a bit like BG2's beginning cinematic; with ink paintings fading in and out with nifty effects etc.

Or something like that. I'm probably not expressing my thoughts very well - it's 3 AM here. :P Apologies for possible spelling mistakes.
  • FouneFoune Member Posts: 53
    I almost pissed my pants when I saw Sarevok in the intro movie, it was too damn awesome to be true.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    edited November 2012
    I like the new movie. I think the dialogue has changed though; that, I do not like. Pretty sure the scared guy said something similar to "I can help you find the other ones" or somesuch.

EDIT: And where's the quote thing from Nietzsche?
  • CheesebellyCheesebelly Member Posts: 1,727
    I don't know if people realize that this is hand drawn art rendered as movies. I personally love the new intro, were I to chose, I'd just keep the "there are others, I can show you" line, but it's ok this way too.

I feel like Sarevok is much more threatening if they don't reveal him entirely like they did in the classic intro.

Btw, it got me wondering - what happened if a lightning bolt fulminated Sarevok that one night? He is kinda tall in full plate mail on top of a large iron structure after all! Game over? :P
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited November 2012
    I like the new movie. And I thought I wouldnt like it because I had heard things but its good. The ONLY thing I could change a bit is the face of the "scared random Bhaalspawn".
  • DraxyleDraxyle Member Posts: 1
    I thought it was pretty great for what it is. It was competent and well paced.

There was no way they could just put the old movies back in, those don't exactly hold up. And redoing them with modern graphics would have been stupid wasteful. What we got is perfectly fine really.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    In my opinion the new intro does not compare well to the original. In the latter there is a much better sense of the Bhaalspawn being chased down by Sarevok. I actually felt something for his plight, whereas now I do not.

The new version seems rushed. It drops dialogue that is central to the story ("...there are others...") and doesn't have the great bookending the original had (the apposite Nietzsche quote at the beginning and the Bhaalspawn's blood running over the game title at the end).

I understand why the developers felt they had to remake the ingame cinematics, given how the originals might look on modern systems. However, I thought they would have produced something more faithful to what came before. It makes it worse that some cinematics have been dropped altogether (as detailed here: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/6800/removal-of-some-in-game-videos-beregost-gnoll-stronghold-etc/p1 )

I do not mean to be harsh. I applaud what the devs have tried to do with the game generally and want BG:EE to be a success. It just seems that they have slipped up a bit here.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    It was good, but needed more cowbell.
  • BeetleBeetle Member Posts: 46
    Overall I like it. I would've kept the Nietzsche quote and additional dialogue as well, but on the plus side they removed the cross from the victim's surcoat. I never understood why a person in Faerun would use a cross as a symbol.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    Someone should put the intro video on youtube as free advertising for this game. That is if the devs are ok with the idea. Maybe someone can tweet them an ask?
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    The changed dialogue I do not like, I also wish the Nietzsche quote was still there. I don't think the new opening intro is that good. However some of the other animations are pretty good. If they put the same effort into BG2's opening I hope they just don't bother and keep the original BG2 opening as is.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    @wissenschaft They already did themselves.
    Also, I thought it better than I had expected. We all knew the 3d cinematics would be changed to 2d stills, but I thought the motion was done perfectly.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152

In my opinion the new intro does not compare well to the original. In the latter there is a much better sense of the Bhaalspawn being chased down by Sarevok. I actually felt something for his plight, whereas now I do not.

Same here, the original I feel for the guy a lot more. Here I don't care so much.

• Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I think the movie is fine, but I miss the blood pooling out from the body and forming the letters around Baldur's gate.
  • wissenschaftwissenschaft Member Posts: 229
    Zanian said:

@wissenschaft They already did themselves.
    Also, I thought it better than I had expected. We all knew the 3d cinematics would be changed to 2d stills, but I thought the motion was done perfectly.

Oh I didn't know. lol

I too feel the original was better but this one is ok.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

I think the movie is fine, but I miss the blood pooling out from the body and forming the letters around Baldur's gate.

Totally agree. I found the movie okay, up until the blood *didn't* form the letters. I don't know why they threw out that.
  • GlendletonGlendleton Member Posts: 3
    I was confused by the new movie because it looks like a comic book, I prefer the old one.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    The new intro blows man. Not to be rude though, but it's just aweful. It looks like a two minute job, only a handful of frames, no real work put into it, anime style animation (basicly like none).

I miss the old intro.

The art style is fine, it's just it was a lazy job.
  • AdventSignAdventSign Member Posts: 96
    edited November 2012
    I think the main problem was that it was done more Neverwinter Nights style regarding cut scenes. It was mostly still frame where you couldn't see the big guy walking toward the little guy or him being picked up and having his neck snapped. The art itself is excellent, I just thing they should have done it in one smooth animation rather than having it told in still frames.
    I do like both however....it does show that a fair bit of effort and heart went into this game's cut scenes.
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

The new version seems rushed. It drops dialogue that is central to the story ("...there are others...") and doesn't have the great bookending the original had (the apposite Nietzsche quote at the beginning and the Bhaalspawn's blood running over the game title at the end).

Agreed 100%.

While the old videos may be "dated" in a superficial sense, the new ones appear "rushed" and fail to capture the essence of the story.
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    The scene where he walks out the door, I mean where he hovers out the door just qualms me, least they could give him a bopping motion.
    It reminds me of some of the leaked alpha versions of Heart of the Swarm movies, that is sketchy and only on planning stage.

Please choose another quality leader, or least choose one.