Skip to content

[Kit Concept] Geomancer Sorcerer

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
edited March 2019 in General Modding
I wanted to play as a Geomancer but I'm not a fan of the Geomantic Sorcerer mod so I drafted my own version with some original ideas. I'm hoping to have it made soon.

Advantages:
- Hit Die: d6
3e geomancer rolls d6 for hit points. Furthermore some of the geomancer's spells require them to get up close and personal or benefit from having more hit points.

- May use Geomancy.

GEOMANCY: The geomancer, through manipulation of primal magic, is able to cast a selection of unique spells: Foundation of Stone, Stonefist, Creeping Cold, Moonbolt, Life Transference, Geomantic Field, Elemental Sphere, Whirlwind, Tidal Blast
Spells are in order of spell level. Effects are subject to change:
Foundation of Stone: +4 Armor Class and 50% resistance to physical damage, cannot be displaced (immunity to wing buffet), staggered (no damage animation) or knocked unconscious, unable to move for duration, caster only
Stonefist: 1d6 per level crushing damage, maximum 10d6, knocks unconscious for 1 round. Save to negate unconsciousness and half damage.
Creeping Cold: deals 1d6 cold damage on first round, 2d6 on second round, 3d6 on third round. Target is slowed for duration. Save vs. spells each round for half damage.
Moonbolt: reduces Strength by 1d4 per 10 levels. Paralyzes undead for 1d4 rounds. Save vs. spells to halve strength loss and avoid paralyze.
Life Transference: drains 25% target maximum hit points and heals caster for the same amount on enemy cast. Damages caster for 50% hit points and heals target for same amount on nonenemy cast.
Geomantic Field: drops a 10' radius field on the caster's location for 1 turn. Heals allies standing in area of effect for 3d4 hit points per round. If cast indoors, the geomancer gains Ley Lines while standing atop the field.
Elemental Sphere: launches sphere that deals 8d8 mixed damage (fire, cold, electrical, acid) and reduces elemental resistances in a 5' radius.
Whirlwind: summons uncontrollable whirlwind for 4d4 rounds that deals 6d6 slashing damage to all targets around it. Targets who fail a save vs. breath upon contact are stunned and dragged along with it (should be possible, unsure)
Tidal Blast: Launches a powerful wave of water. All targets in a wide line take 10d10 damage and are dragged with it and knocked unconscious for 3 rounds. Breathing creatures must make a save vs. death at -4 or drown. Fire-based creatures die with no save.

- May use Natural Magic.

NATURAL MAGIC: The geomancer draws upon natural energies for <PRO_HISHER> magic, allowing <PRO_HIMHER> to cast spells akin to those of a druid. The geomancer gains a spell for each level granting access to a selection of druidic spells:

1st level: Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Entangle, Sanctuary, Shillelagh
2nd level: Barkskin, Flame Blade, Goodberry, Resist Fire and Cold, Slow Poison
3rd level: Call Lightning, Cure Disease, Cure Medium Wounds, Summon Insects, Zone of Sweet Air
4th level: Call Woodland Beings, Cure Serious Wounds, Defensive Harmony, Neutralize Poison, Poison
5th level: Chaotic Commands, Cure Critical Wounds, Insect Plague, Mass Cure, Raise Dead
6th level: Dolorous Decay, Fire Seeds, Harm, Heal, Physical Mirror
7th level: Creeping Doom, Earthquake, Fire Storm, Nature's Beauty, Regeneration

Druid spells are not added directly to spellbook to reduce clutter. They are accessed via a Spell Immunity-esque list for each spell level.

- Gains Drift.

DRIFT: As the geomancer attunes <PRO_HIMHER>self with the natural energies of the land, they begin to evolve and gain natural attributes resembling those of other creatures attuned to nature, which may range from common animals to more exotic beings such as dryads or nymphs. For every three levels starting from level 4, the geomancer permanently gains a bonus:

4th level: +1 Charisma
7th level: +2 Armor Class
10th level: +1 Dexterity
13th level: Immunity to poisons and diseases
16th level: +1 Strength
19th level: +2 to Saving Throws
22nd level: +1 Charisma
25th level: +25% Resistance to Fire, Cold, Acid and Electricity
28th level: +1 Dexterity
31st level: +10% Magic Resistance (doubled while on Ley Lines)
Note that sorcerers normally cap at level 31
34th level: +1 Strength
37th level: +25% bonus to Elemental Damage
40th level: +1 Charisma

- At 2nd level, gain Ley Lines.

LEY LINES: The geomancer learns to create magical connections with a specific type of terrain, gaining a +2 bonus to casting level while outdoors. From 8th level onwards, the bonus increases to +4. From 16th level onwards, the geomancer gains a +2 bonus to casting speed.

Disadvantages:
- May cast one fewer spell per level per day.
- Incurs a -1 penalty to casting time (negated while on Ley Lines)
- Suffers a -2 penalty to saving throws vs. all spell schools (negated while on Ley Lines)

Ley Lines aren't quite so powerful in source material, but I wanted to emphasize the geomancer's strength in their element. They're at a disadvantage vs. regular mages while indoors, but more powerful when outdoors - and even more versatile.
Post edited by TheArtisan on

Comments

• ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited June 2019
    I'm out there waiting for this kit.

If possible, can you give it a thought for personalized HLA?

Also, a note: gaining +1 charisma at 40 or arbitrary improvements of this kind (I'm referring to the improved stats) make no sense in vanilla baldur's gate. In the context of things (a sorcerer), a +X strength matters even less. But things start to change when using the saving throw components from subtledoctor (scales of balance). Consider suggesting to install that component too.

Just a friendly note.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    I agree with Arthas that giving stat, save, and AC improvements in 2nd Edition is very different from 3rd Edition. 3rd Edition was common to have some stats in the 30's, saves in the 30's, and AC in the 40's. 2nd Edition caps stats at 25 with great ACs around -12 (the best dragons had -12 in PnP) and saves around 0. So adding all those ability, saves, and AC boosts seem excessive in my opinion for 2nd Edition.
  • AquadrizztAquadrizzt Member Posts: 1,065
    I really like the Leylines idea you have where the Sorcerer gets stronger or weaker depending on whether they are in or outside. This mechanic is very clever and elegant, and would be a great basis for a 2E style Sorcerer kit by itself. You could maybe even change it to be natural vs. civilized areas, but that might be too limiting.

I know that the original Geomantic Sorcerer is an overloaded mess, but I don't think this kit needs two different sets of bonus spells. If you absolutely want to keep the bonus spells, I'd suggest picking one of either druid or unique spells (the unique spells are probably more thematic for this purpose), and maybe limiting them to only be castable while "on leylines" (however you ultimately define that). Because the spells would be exclusive to this kit, you can add an area check layer (using OpCode 326) to them that would cause them to fizzle if cast in cities or indoors.

You could remove Drift entirely and this kit would still be quite powerful. I get that it is in the style of the vanilla Dragon Discipline stat pinata, but I find it equally uninspired here.

Feel free to disregard any or all of this comment. Just thought I'd offer my opinions on a Sorcerer kit design, as it is a task I've worked on (and struggled with) for over 5 years now.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Yeah I think I'm gonna put this one in the freezer for now. Might go back to it later but I'd rather work on other stuff.