Skip to content

Shaman thoughts

Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
edited March 2019 in General Modding
I have been trying to understand why I don't see a Shaman character through the BG(2)EE series and I think I now know.

The Shaman is suppose to the the spontaneous caster of a druid. He has an XP progression of the Mage which ends at the same level as a druid. He gets access to druid spells to select. He is the Sorcerer of the druid world.

The difference is that the Sorcerer gets restricted list of spells to cast, but more to cast compared to a mage. The Shaman gets restricted spells to cast and less to cast then a druid (allot less). A druid at 31 level has 9/9/9/9/9/7/7 without counting bonus spells for wisdom. A Shaman gets 6/6/6/6/6/6/6 and no bonus spells. If we look at 2.99 million XP (druid level 14, just before the druid gets his massive spell casting increase at level 15) we see the druid can cast 6/6/6/5/3/2/1 and the Shaman gets (level 17) 6/6/6/6/6/6/6.

The Shaman holds ok at levels 1-13 (druid gets these levels way faster then the shaman). Pulls well ahead in levels 13 through 17. And falls behind to never catch up from level 18 +

Even with the detect illusion and summon spirits (hard to use without the walking mod) the Shaman seems to be a nerf of the druid.

Is there a way to use the druid spell progression for the shaman? Still wouldn't get bonus spells, but it would add 17 more base castings by end of game. Probably would need to slow the spell casts that go way up at level 15 as the shaman will get there way before a druid.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Using Near Infinity, locate this file:

mxsplshm

It controls the spells for Shamans.

Paste in it the values from this file:

mxspldru

Should do the trick, but probably will require a fresh game.
    Or just throw the following file (unzipped) at your override folder.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Thanks!!
    @Raduziel Does this override file work for both BGEE and BG2EE?
    Necromanx2 wrote: »
    @Raduziel Does this override file work for both BGEE and BG2EE?

I see no reason why not.
    edited March 2019
    Sadly it does not work in BGEE (does work fine in BG2EE).

In BGEE I get 0 casting at 1st level after sleeping. If I remove the override, I get the two castings I should get (with starting a new game).

EDIT: Ah! I forget a druid starts with 1 spell and with the -1 for the Dreadful Witch I would start at 0. So spoiled by the bonus spells I forget Clerics and Druids really get 1 base spell at level 1.
    @Necromanx2 You may edit the table I gave you to start with 2 spells at level 1.

IDK if it is possible to make the Shaman get bonus spells from Wisdom. I'll see if I find a 2da related to it.

But just a personal opinion, I really like the Shaman as it is with the ISDancing mod. Versality is way more powerful than quantity - the problem is that we ran across these games so much that we always know what to expect, so we prepare our spellbooks accordingly. And on top of that, IE doesn't really punish us from rest-abuse, so we can change our spells whenever we want.

I don't think that the Shaman is underpowered compared to the Druid - especially not having the weird XP curve the Druid has - but it is underpowered for the playstyle adopted for most veteran players.

That being said, IDK if PnP states that Shaman gets extra spells per level. If it does, this feature will be implemented, if possible at all, both to I Hate Undead and Deities of Faerûn.

I know that @subtledoctor developed some nice shenanigans to allow extra spells based on attributes, but I'm not really on the mood of digging this far.

Cheers.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on