Skip to content

Completing the rogue hirelings quest in the first chapter...

Where is the item needed to fulfill the rogue hireling's personal quest in the first chapter of NWN:EE?

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    "Official documents" are in Thomas Wheelwright's Wagon Repair in the Beggar's Nest, southeast corner.
  • ArviaArvia Member Posts: 2,101
    Tomi had a quest? I guess I missed that. What would have triggered it?
  • NeveroddoreveNNeveroddoreveN Member Posts: 173
    Arvia - just finish talking to him about his background BEFORE you complete the first Chapter. He will mention it, and when you finally complete that quest, he will give you a cool item!
  • CerabelusCerabelus Member Posts: 385
    Each companion in the OC has a quest and a unique item you get, also on
    chapters 2 & 3 you get addition quests to have them upgrade those items.
    My only complaint with it is none of the companion items boost Intelligence ?.
  • NeveroddoreveNNeveroddoreveN Member Posts: 173
    A thought - I know that, in subsequent chapters, those hireling items get more powerful. if the player missed out on those hireling side quests in Chapter One, are they not able to ever get those items?
    Arvia - just finish talking to him about his background BEFORE you complete the first Chapter. He will mention it, and when you finally complete that quest, he will give you a cool item!

Too late, I'm in chapter two :disappointed:
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Arvia , I didn't even bother to do it in my latest run, because the ring he gives you is a rogue's ring with some bonuses to rogue skills, and no AC or saving throw bonuses in it. In other words, a pretty much useless item for paladins, and it can't be sold.

It can be fun to roleplay his story through, so maybe I should have done it, but I guess I had other priorities while the opportunity was there.

Be sure to check him for more story every time you gain a new level, although, I've gotten into Luskan without him, not remembering that if I didn't have him in tow when I went through the front gates, he'd be gone for the rest of the chapter. But I had pretty much stopped using him any way, and I may not use him again, because of his trouble staying alive, which only gets worse and worse as the game goes on.

If you move on to the expansions after the OC, and/or into user-created content, the companions get an upgrade that greatly increases their survivability - you have access to their inventory to give them more potions and better gear, and you have more tactical AI options on their "talk to" screens.
    @NeveroddoreveN

If I remember years back I forgot to do some of the quests and in chapter 2 I still had the option to help them but only got the base item as rewards not the chapter 2 upgrade.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited July 2019
    As a rule of thumb, I normally do all the hireling quests (even that psycho, Grimgnaw's) no matter what race/class combo I play for the additional experience points. Also, listening to each of your henchman's tales is a good role-playing device. Seeing as how you're in the business of Adventuring, treat your hirelings like potential business partners. It's great for you to have them share some of their most private moments with you as a means to get to know exactly who you're working with.
    A thought - I know that, in subsequent chapters, those hireling items get more powerful. if the player missed out on those hireling side quests in Chapter One, are they not able to ever get those items?
    Arvia wrote: »
    Too late, I'm in chapter two :disappointed:

@Arvia and @NeveroddoreveN If you haven't done any of the hireling quests in Chapter 2 yet, you can use the DebugMode 1/dm_spawnitem console functions to give yourself just the quest items you missed out on obtaining in the previous chapter. I know it sounds a lot like cheating, but if you were going to do the quests anyway, it would save you the headache of having to replay the chapter you just progressed through. Otherwise, you could just save your character in Chapter 2, play through Chapter 1 just far enough to get all the hireling quest items, save your character in Chapter 1, then start right back in Chapter 2. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.

Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
    @Prince_Raymond , I don't like using the console, and since I have read above that Tomi's item is useless for a paladin, it doesn't hurt. But thanks for the very helpful instructions about using the option to save your character, maybe they will be useful for someone else or at another occasion.
  • Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    @Arvia Happy to aid a holy shield maiden in her righteous cause for justice.
    @Arvia

The ring isn't necessary useless, if your looking to boost your Dex for a little extra AC or Ranged AB than it's still helpful if you need that but yes it's better for skillful characters.

Just like the other companion items you may not fully benefit from all the enchantment but a Sorcerer or Pally will benefit greatly from 2 of Thier items.
    @Cerabelus , now that I know there are companion quests, I will pay attention next time. It's just not worth it to go back to chapter 1 now.