Skip to content

TextScreen in IWD 2

Hi All,

I'm trying to do some modding work in IWD 2 and can't get the TextScreen function to work. I'm passing a .2DA file with valid string references, but it always produces "An assertion failed in CGameAIBase.cpp at line number 1439." Neither NetInfinity nor DLTCEP display an error or warning in the script, so I assume the TextScreen function is in the engine and that the format or elements within the .2DA differ from BG2, but perhaps that's a flawed assumption. Any ideas?

- TB

Comments

• BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    The IWD2 engine is rigged to throw that assertion error whenever TextScreen is attempted. There is code after that assertion that I can force to run via some hex edits, but it doesn't seem to work properly. At best I get a GUI ring around the edge of the screen that causes the game to freeze.

The original devs probably tried to get the function to work, couldn't, then threw that assert in to make sure no one attempts to use it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    Thanks so much for looking into it Bubb. Bummer! Can you think of any way to display a large portrait (210x330 or larger) with some text?