Skip to content

Way to view NPC buffs or save in combat?

jimmyw404jimmyw404 Member Posts: 8
So I'm enjoying playing BG with SCS, a bunch of other mods and on the Legacy of Bhaal difficulty. I've played through BG so many times that doing so like this is fairly new.

However, I'm getting a little frustrated at the compounding problem that is mages, mods that add/change spell effects, the LoB difficulty and the many spell protection buffs.

I'd love a way to inspect NPC buffs, because trying to decode what protections they have from the spells I cast + spells they cast is a little unreliable.

One way I've found to do this is to use the Ctrl+Q cheat to add the NPC to my party, which allows me to see their buffs ex:
5me1j8ifwhbd.png

But it's too cumbersome to get out of combat, add them to the party, reload and then attack. Ideally I'd have something in the tool tip / dialog ( ex: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/22826/show-active-spells-on-character-maybe-in-dialogue-box ) but just being able to save in combat would be fine too.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,314
    The game autosaves when you travel between areas - so if you do a fight near the map edge you can always force a save.
  • jimmyw404jimmyw404 Member Posts: 8
    Grond0 wrote: »
    The game autosaves when you travel between areas - so if you do a fight near the map edge you can always force a save.
    That's a good point. I'm just hoping to find something that helps me understand what's going on without interrupting the flow of combat.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    If scs pre-buff option is installed, the combat log gives detailed info about what spells are precast by enemies, especially with scs. If you pause when an enemy mage/cleric is spawned and prebuffs, you should see 'enemyname-protective spell name (cast previously)'

This gets especially important in bg2 and tob parts of the game where high level mages prebuff with a lot of protections and you need to figure out how to 'peel' their protections right. Globe of Invulnerability, spell turning, spell shield, spell immunity etc. All those prebuffs can be comboed in different ways and they will require different approaches. High level mages can have up to 8 or more lines of prebuffs!

Other than that, most spells have visual indicators as well. Mirror image/stoneskin/fireshield etc. are just plain there to see, but other subtle visual effects are there too for almost every buff. A shiny disc under a caster means spell turning, (or spell shield?) for example. Cleric buffs are more subtle in visuals generally, they mostly give a glow and different color pulse to targets, save for obvious ones like Blade barrier.

I wish there was a visual indicator to protection from magic weapons/mantle type of spells as well, thus it can be immediately noticable when the buff expires, so an immediate attack can be performed. Scs mages are good at refreshing them when needed, though.
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    lunar wrote: »
    I wish there was a visual indicator to protection from magic weapons/mantle type of spells as well
    Not only that, but the most common PfME and Protection from Fire/Acid/Cold/Electricity doesn't have any visual effect as well.
    Pretty annoying.

edited March 2023
    Hey all! I'm getting the itch to for yet another playthrough of Baldur's Gate. In 2023 does anyone have an ideas on how to show a given NPC's current buffs?

Just to restate the problem: I love Baldur's Gate, love ramping up the difficulty and love stacking a bunch of ridiculous mods like SCS and new content to keep new playthroughs fresh. I also love the mechanic of opponent mages layering their defenses like an opera cake that I have to peel off. However with all the mods introducing new spells, spell changes etc it becomes infeasible to know what spell protections are active on a given mage, let alone what spells will dispel them.

What I'd love is a way to query a given mage to see what spell protections they have so I know what action to take against them. Does anyone know if that's possible?
  • xiaoleiwenxiaoleiwen Member Posts: 186
    jimmyw404 wrote: »
    Hey all! I'm getting the itch to for yet another playthrough of Baldur's Gate. In 2023 does anyone have an ideas on how to show a given NPC's current buffs?

Just to restate the problem: I love Baldur's Gate, love ramping up the difficulty and love stacking a bunch of ridiculous mods like SCS and new content to keep new playthroughs fresh. I also love the mechanic of opponent mages layering their defenses like an opera cake that I have to peel off. However with all the mods introducing new spells, spell changes etc it becomes infeasible to know what spell protections are active on a given mage, let alone what spells will dispel them.

What I'd love is a way to query a given mage to see what spell protections they have so I know what action to take against them. Does anyone know if that's possible?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/84149/2-6-bg2-radar-overlay-released/p1
    xiaoleiwen wrote: »
    jimmyw404 wrote: »

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/84149/2-6-bg2-radar-overlay-released/p1

Wowww this is way more than i hoped for. Thanks!!!