Skip to content

Wand of spell striking + SCS

Posted this on reddit too, but I believe Wand of spell striking is OP in a sense. It seems that whenever I use it on a mage who has a million protections up, their pfmw just instantly goes down. I believe the breach from it doesn't count as a spell, since it is from a wand. It seems to go right through things like spell trap and spell turning, making the mage die almost instantly to melee weapons.

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    I can't reproduce this: it bounces off Spell Turning when I test it on a clean install of SCS v32.
    BrightL1ghts
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I haven't installed SCS myself, but here's a relevant bit from the documentation:
    More consistent Breach spell (always affects liches and rakshasas; doesn't penetrate Spell Turning)

Although it isn't documented, the 5th level spell Breach will remove a creature's combat protections (such as Stoneskin) even if that creature is protected by Spell Deflection, Spell Turning or Spell Trap; it will not, however, affect creatures like liches or rakshasas, because they are immune to spells of level 5 or below. This component removes both features: Breach now bounces off Spell Turning (etc.), but it affects even those creatures immune to "normal" 5th level spells.

Once this is installed, the Breach effect of the Wand of Spell Striking will behave in exactly the same way as the Breach spell.
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    Weird... maybe my game is bugged or I didn’t install more consistent breach?

Happy to hear it bounces off spell turning on a full install though.
    Could it be because pierce magic from the wand is taking down spell turning and then causing the breach to work?

I believe the wand does both effects at once?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BrightL1ghtsBrightL1ghts Member Posts: 53
    sorry, but that seems to be false. I started a new playthrough recently and wand seems to work as it should, something either bugged on your side or your target doesn't have spell turning/spell shield etc. up.
    Yeah I just did it on improved Sendai with scs and ascension. She had spell trap and everything and she instantly went down.

Idk, pretty weird
    Let's not say 'false' - I'm sure tedmann12 is seeing the effect they say they're seeing, it's just not reproducible on my (or BrightLights') install.

tedmann12: which version of SCS is this? And are you installing it manually or are you using some autoinstaller program?
  • AngulimalaAngulimala Member Posts: 82
    tedmann12, try checking your Weidu log and see if that component was installed. Maybe the Breach from an unmodified wand goes through the other spell protections.
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    The advantage of the wand is that it affects even creature with spell immunity of Breach's level (like Liches) and that you can use it on invisible targets.
    That's pretty much it.
    In SCS the former advantage doesn’t apply.

The other advantage of the wand is that non-spellcasters can use it.
    I'm using version 31. I just checked my Weidu log and "more consistent breach" is installed. Super weird... The strangest thing is that I remember in my last playthrough the wand having a similar effect. So this time I bought the wand from the Gul Dakeem's early on in chapter 2 so I could use it on the warden in the planar sphere, but it didn't work then. Since then I have had to reinstall as I'm playing on a different computer. Now it just seems to consistently work. I am really confused.

Well, I am at the Melissan fight and plan on starting over from bg1 when (if) I beat her. I'm going to install vs32.
    Yeah, testing on my own characters and with the wand I can target invisible characters with spell trap and get rid of everything, but if I try to cast breach on them it is impossible because they are invisible. once I make them visible the spell trap absorbs it.

Must be bugged, but during my last playthrough a year or so ago on a different computer it was working the same way and I had scs installed. Hopefully v32 will change this, but I am really confused as to why only my games are doing this and not others.
    Let me know if you can reproduce this on the current version.