Skip to content

Assistance Creating spells in Nearinfinity

tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
Hi all,

Total noob here to NearInfinity. I want to create a few spells, specifically to add to my Avenger druid to make him a little stronger late game. I wanted to give him the ability to use the Level 9 Wizard spell "Shapechange". Obviously since its a Wizard spell he can't cast it, so I wanted to make either an innate ability or a level 7 cleric spell version of this he could use.

I really don't have any experience with Nearinfinity, and I have no idea how to find the current shapechange spell, as all the spells have numerical names, sorting through it would take forever. Is there an easy way to find what number is associated with Shapechange? Or any spell for that matter.

Also, am I correct to assume that, if I find the Wizard version, I can "export it", then edit it to change it to a level 7 cleric spell, and then somehow import it back into the spell list. And then assign it to my char using EEKeeper?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 214
    spell names - best bet is to check the baldur's gate wiki. pretty sure it has the .spl names.

For the spell question, in theory that should work, but one of the mod experts can probably chime in.
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 1,000
    edited June 2019
    @tedmann12: You can find spell resrefs via their name by using NI's search function:
    au3ptou9au2m.png
    cgfwvn3d8ary.png
    p19qg8m7fde6.png
    huuzs9k4iqe1.png
    wrxygs0huyd3.png

After you click "Search" you might be surprised to see many spells with the same name. This is because the games often have multiple versions of the spell for various reasons, such as special enemy variants, innate versions, or just incorrectly labeled spells.

General rule of thumb is to look for the spell resref that matches the type you are looking for:
    SPWIXXX is a Wizard spell.
    SPPRXXX is a Cleric spell.
    SPINXXX is an Innate spell.

The first digit of the XXX is almost always the spell level. So it can be determined that SPWI112, the resref for Magic Missile, is a level 1 spell. Of course mod-added spells aren't bound by this convention, and often use no discernible pattern, so it is harder to track those down.

Once you find the spell you want to copy, double-click it so you open it in the main viewer. Then, in the file viewer, right click the resref and select "Add copy of":
    0uuzk9pcpe4b.png

Give it the name of your choice, (maximum of 8 characters), and hit OK. You should be able to find this copy in the "Override" folder in the file viewer. You can then edit this copy and assign it to your character using EE Keeper.

Btw, in your case you should change the "Spell type" field from Wizard (1) to Priest (2):
    uwr65gg2vjmr.png

"Spell level" is just a few below that. The "Minimum level" ability fields might also have to be lowered, to account for the lower-level divine access. If you need help with that, just ask. :)
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    Wow, thank you so much for your help! FIgured it out :smile:
  • MeToLeeMeToLee Member Posts: 19
    I'm trying to do a similar thing with knock spell. I added a copy of it at override and changed spell type to innate (4) then changed spell ability to ability four. I see the innate ability in the EEKeeper but when I open the game it shows me two different spells in special abilities (improved haste, improved invisibility if it matters)