Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Icewind Dale spell effects mod for Baldur's Gate?

Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 215
Does anyone know if there is a mod to use the spell effects graphics from Icewind Dale in BG:EE and BG2:EE? I know there is a mod for the casting graphics, but what I am looking for is the actual "hit" effect. For instance: when you hit a monster with an ice effect spell or weapon in BG, there is a blueish white cloud, but in IWD it looks like icy spikes, and they both have a different sound.

wolfguardian

Comments

• wolfguardianwolfguardian Member Posts: 7
    @Daeros_Trollkiller

That is a great question, icewind dale spells look way better to me as well.

• Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 215
    Since I've posted this, I've decided to get into modding these games and learned quite a bit, and I've tried playing with these hit effects. I haven't been able to to sort it all, but I did discover that hit acid does not have a visual effect associated with it, and it also seems to prevent other hit effects from being shown, however the damage still occurs.

Also, some spells' hit effects *do* play the visual effects from IWD, such as cold-based spells, but the original cold dmg effect plays along with it, nearly masking it.

It would be nice if I could figure out where these hit effects are pulling the animations from, they almost seem hard-coded based on my very limited and novice-level modding efforts.

wolfguardian
  • imp51096454imp51096454 Member Posts: 53
    edited February 2020
    Unzip this file in your override folder, it contains my self-modified fire and electric damage effect, cold effect imported from IWD as well as bloody gore effect
    by the way, your portrait is so cool :# elder Charname?

• Daeros_TrollkillerDaeros_Trollkiller Member Posts: 215
    Thank you imp, I will check this out when I am able. Since I've posted this, I've taken it upon myself to become a modder so that I can make the mods I want :) Still a novice, imo, but my most recent mod is up on G3.

I found this portrait many years ago, when I was looking for new portraits to use in-game. I have no idea who created it.