Skip to content

First Impressions?

Well, I've gotten through a fair bit of the Black Pits so far and walked through the single player adventure, and things look great! There's been a few hiccups, but most of the new features seem to work well, and the new layout looks nice. I'm already starting to feel that joyful nostalgia of a good RPG.

In terms of bugs, I did have firebead elvenhair walk through the north wall of candlekeep inn and disappear on me while getting in a tussle with him, lol. The only other bug I've noticed is the little scrolls scrolls appearing a bit disjointed when you press tab on a portrait name (length of name may be a bit too long?).

I have to say though, I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of multiplayer options in the first version, people trying to connect by IP aren't having a good time of it. But I suppose they're waiting for the other platforms to get released first?

It looks like a lot of time and effort was put into these new areas and dialogue, as well as lots and lots of tiny detail. So far so good!

Comments

• EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    edited November 2012
    First impression (as the game sits paused so I can post), everything I was hoping for a much, much more. I am loving the attention to detail (rest campsite, character circle highlights, scrolls reworked. And on...). Of particular note for me (using a Skald pc), male voice six rules! I'm totally loving that, plus the newer portraits. Overall, EXTREMELY happy! And totally loving the biography after having used Tutu for so long!
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    So far so good. Only trying single player so far. I'm still in Candlekeep. I've been pretending my character is tapping the patrolling guards on the shoulder (and then ingeniously turning away so they don't see me), and killing would-be assassins that like to twist my responses before attempting to kill me. They only seem to be armed with daggers though. What kind of idiot approaches a buff, fightery figure with thick armor, a horny helmet, a big long sword, and then proceeds to mouth off to him and attempt stabbing him in the gut. Idiots.

But I'm having a blast. I can't wait till Gorion dies so I can get out of Candlekeep. Course I suppose I don't have to...I could just endlessly poke the patrolling guards forever. And Gorion won't die. And I bet the world won't end either. BUH WHAHAHA! Outsmarted you Bioware/Beamdog!

Most likely though I'm going to gather my party before venturing forth and see if I can kick that stupid black bear's arse. God I hate that black bear.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    It's been really fun, starting with the cool new portraits!
  • tpowltpowl Member Posts: 35
    Man the only thing I was doing for about an hour was to listen to intro BGM. Boy is that music awesome or what lol
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    So awesome.

Montaron and Xzar wouldn't join me. That's never happened before. This is like playing a whole new game.
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    edited November 2012
    It's incredible. Everything has been made so much more convenient, the hotkey customization and everything. The new cutscenes are rather nice (though I wish they hadn't cut Sarevok's first victim's part short). I had lapsed into my standard play style until I
    got to Bergerost
    , and the fresh new content after all these years just made me crack a big grin. I've yet to run into any major bugs so all in all my first impressions are positive. :)
  • Raziel_HasturRaziel_Hastur Member Posts: 10
    First impressions are very good, the HD looks awesome on my 1080p monitor, the game play is a lot smother than I remember, the Goran's fight with Savarock is more visceral and since the severs crashed from activity that means Overhall already the green light on Planescape: EE (hopefully) or what ever Infinity RPG is next.
  • Ken_BrightbladeKen_Brightblade Member Posts: 7
    I have been really disappointed to be quite frank. I can deal with 30 FPS, it's painful, but it isn't the end of the world. That being said, I've run into a REALLY frustrating bug, whenever I click an item in my inventory, it makes my cursor disappear. Playing in windowed mode makes it reappear, but now I'm forced into keyboard scrolling. Not sure if it's just me, but I felt entitled to bitch about how disappointed about I am about spending 20 dollars for being kind of let down. That being said, I'm sure the improvements are great, but the game being essentially half speed and my cursor being invisible is really ruining the experience.
    Hopefully whatever is causing your graphical issues will get resolved soon, Ken. Yeowch.
    I'd settle for 60 FPS tbh :P
  • EnterHaerDalisEnterHaerDalis Member Posts: 813
    First impressions were amazing. Then my 256mb video card is like "I've met my match, boy. I'm going to crash you every time you try to run that precious game. Be humbled"
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    First impressions : Very dissapointed. I keep losing my cursor whenever I click on anything in my inventory. I can play the game fine if I don't use any items ever. What kind of game breaking bug like this gets through to release? I got special food, special drink, made some time and settled down to enjoy my first time playing this and now I'm refreshing the forum waiting for a response on this bug.

Very sad :'(
    That is sad, Jaysama! Who makes your graphics card? NVidia? I'm kind of wondering if a lot of the problems are incompatibility with those cards. Seems like it from what I read, but I'm not sure.
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Enjoying it so far; a few pet peeves through

An annoying thing for me is that I seem to have to double click sometimes before my character will go and do what they're supposed to; I know I'm not just misclicking because the sound clip for selection plays twice.

Also Some of the new dialogue seems a little wooden in delivery and out of keeping with the rest of the writing but otherwise okay; I would actually probably prefer it if they didn't speak all there lines and only some for flavour.

Why do I have to create a portraits folder on my c drive rather than the b it is installed to??

Still a fun game that I would recommend
    If it is, that would make a lot of sense, my card is a nVidia, and that's the same bug.
  • kazrobkazrob Member Posts: 18
    To be honest original BG with some of the mods have been more playable, at least so far. Lots of bugs and annoyances in a game that was already fully functional when they started.
  • begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    I'm getting a few double click problems here and there to. Now I just double click everything lol.
  • eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26
    Anyone else feel like Male Voice 4 sounds like Robin Williams? lol
  • JaysamaJaysama Member Posts: 66
    kazrob said:

To be honest original BG with some of the mods have been more playable, at least so far. Lots of bugs and annoyances in a game that was already fully functional when they started.

That's my biggest problem. Under normal circumstances I would have shrugged these types of issues off, but after playing the original game for so long I am angry that it would introduce new bugs. Isn't that half of the reason to make an enhanced edition? To make it more of a smooth technical experience on modern machines?
  • sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25
    My biggest issues are
    1. The fact that the setting to disable printing selection/command blurbs in the dialogue box doesn't function currently. It's a huge amount of clutter in a tough battle where you select and order tons of people, and I really use the combat feedback, I use the 'Attacks someone' messages to determine who the ogre is chasing for example, and I have to-hit rolls enabled so I can see what rolls I'm missing with, and have an idea of the enemy's AC, as well as to judge if my tanks have enough AC for "Crit or miss" status with the enemies I'm fighting, which can determine how I allocate the best equipment.

2. There's a lot of erroneousness, at least in the interface if not the gameplay itself with regard to stats. People have reported issues with THAC0 and strength damage with throwing axes for example, and Gnomes arbitrarily being capped at Wis 16(-2) instead of their -1, bugged Kensai AC, etc. It just creates an aura of uncertainty, and I'm afraid I'll rediscover long-fixed bugs like Magic Missile doing 1d4 instead of 1d4+1 per missile, or companions not getting racial save bonuses.

I can see why other people might not be bothered with these though, I've been in the BG community long enough, and browsed these forums enough to know that most people still don't really understand the BG/IE implementation of 2E AD&D, and I see erroneous or wrong information repeated constantly. People just genuinely don't notice when things aren't working as they should, since they never knew how it worked in the first place.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    So far I am really pleased. I am playing as an Inquister, love the tweaks to performance and widescreen. Loving the variety of new item drops.

Some minor gripes? First the spell icons in the books look very poor. Another when wearing headphones it seems like left and right sound are either or, with a tiny center screen that plays sound in both speakers. Kind of jarring.
  • siliconpsychosissiliconpsychosis Member Posts: 32
    Loving the higher resolution, and the background scrolls with no judder too! And the music is really clear and good quality. And the highlighted character circles are a nice touch. And my main character (mage/cleric) now has a familiar which I never experienced before! My familiar increased my hit points by 12 points (total 18 at level1)! Is that correct or too much? Just wish I had a button that can zoom the screen in and out (since I dont use an ugly mousewheel) but Im sure a workaround will appear soon enough.
    Thankyou Overhaul and Beamdog. Youve done a wonderful job on my favourite game ever ever. :)
  • PhysicsdummyPhysicsdummy Member Posts: 18
    Terrible to be honest, seeing as the game can't even make it to the main menu without crashing.
  • rdarkenrdarken Member Posts: 660
    I keep finding improvements that are making me squee. Charisma is affecting conversations. That may have been why Xzar and Montaron didn't join me, but I've also had NPCs refuse to give me quests when I spoke to them with my my PC
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited November 2012
    So far I am happy with it. It plays just like BG which is something that BGT or Tutu didn't do as well.

There are a few interface anomalies which I hope get cleaned up soon. The one that 'bugs' me the most is in my multiplayer game, when the text window expands, sometimes the window glitches and doesn't display the text right, or else it will show two windows on top of each other.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    "It looks like a lot of time and effort was put into these new areas and dialogue, as well as lots and lots of tiny detail. So far so good! "

Good to hear that... The amount of hate going on about the game crashes/bugs and things not being as amazing as they expected has gotten me down. But the actual quality of the new NPCs and areas hasnt been talked about too much, even though these are the main things we should be looking at to see if these guys can pull off BG3.

Bugs and stuff can be ironed out over time, if the actual content quality is rubbish then we're all doomed (as Xan would say).
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    I LOVE THE NEW WORLD MAP!!!!

The game is running smoothly, I also love the ulta-quick-save and the fast map transition!

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305

Only the line "YOU GOT THIS COMING!"
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351
    Jaysama said:

kazrob said:

That's my biggest problem. Under normal circumstances I would have shrugged these types of issues off, but after playing the original game for so long I am angry that it would introduce new bugs. Isn't that half of the reason to make an enhanced edition? To make it more of a smooth technical experience on modern machines?
    You realise that they have completely gutted the code though? Doing this was bound to introduce some bugs, and seeing as the UI was totally re-done, that is likely to contain bugs of some kind as well.

As for my first impressions... Good, generally. Runs nice and smooth, instant load is nice, sounds and feels like BG from what bit I played and the zoom is as expected. Havent played enough to comment on new NPCs etc.

Bad things for me, only a couple so far. The UI seems a bit blurry? I dont know why, as id have thoght it would be crisp clear as it was being re-done. I hope they can fix this. No Graphics options? I'd like to be able to set my in game resolution. I dont dislike 1PP, but id prefer everything as far as animations, sprites etc are concerned to be the same as in BG1. I know they explained their reasons months ago, but its still what id prefer.

All in all im happy, and I still have faith that after ironing out all the bugs, adding in new content and tweaks through DLC that this will be the "best version of Baldurs Gate available", which is what they set out to do in the first place.
  • eyeofthegoateyeofthegoat Member Posts: 26
    Ward said:

Only the line "YOU GOT THIS COMING!"
    Yep, thats the one I'm thinking of.