Skip to content

A few questions before starting

kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
The last time I played IWD was probably 15years ago so I forgot almost everything about it.
I would like to ask a few questions before I start my run, so it would be great if you could help me.

1. What are some class/alignment/race specific items I should prepare for, e.g. I remember there was a paladin sword but I don't remember if it was a long/bastard/2handsword etc.
2. Is the ranger/cleric class "fixed" as it is in BG2?
3. Are there any must have weapons I should plan beforehand for?
4. Is a cleric/thief enough divine power for a party? I'm not sure, can I dual a thief into a cleric? Is it something I should even consider?
I was planing to have a paladin, dwarven defender, bard, sorcerer and ranger, which means I would need to make a C/T. I never played with one of those, so I'm not exactly sure it's feasible.
JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    The so-called "paladin sword" is a Longsword, although arguably there's another Longsword you get near the end of the game that's even better.

I remember there not being many good quarterstaves or blunt weapons in the game, so chances are you'll probably be using a lot of the unnamed "+2 Morning Star of Defending" type weapons a la Diablo-style that you find as random loot along the way.
    kaja8JuliusBorisov
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 605
    kaja8 wrote: »
    The last time I played IWD was probably 15years ago so I forgot almost everything about it.
    I would like to ask a few questions before I start my run, so it would be great if you could help me.

1. What are some class/alignment/race specific items I should prepare for, e.g. I remember there was a paladin sword but I don't remember if it was a long/bastard/2handsword etc.
    4. Is a cleric/thief enough divine power for a party? I'm not sure, can I dual a thief into a cleric? Is it something I should even consider?
    I was planing to have a paladin, dwarven defender, bard, sorcerer and ranger, which means I would need to make a C/T. I never played with one of those, so I'm not exactly sure it's feasible.

1. As already said the paladin sword is a long sword.
    2. I'm pretty sure it is
    3. Longswords rock. Very common and very powerful, the best (probably) one it's not class/alignment/race specific. Morning star/flails are great too, even better in some cases if you think that Crushing damage is way better than slashing damage. Long Bows are the best for ranged fights. A couple of must-have weapons are not so obvious to obtain, involving killing innocent people, it means your paladin and ranger may fall. Remember that in IWD it's impossible to raise reputation (if 8 or higher), and the temple only can bring it to 8 maximum.
    Long Bow +4: Hammer - kill Emmerich Hawk, no pickpocket option
    Morning Star +4: Defender - findable as random loot in specific point, it's obtainable for sure by killing Quinn Silverfinger and Harald
    4. I would suggest you to biclass from a thief to a cleric (maybe level 7 is enough, and it gets Evasion). Thieves are not so needed in IWD except for traps and locks, backstab is not exceptional as in BG. You will prefere an almost pure cleric for Turn Undead (more than half of the enemies are undead).

For the ranger i think the best is to specialize as archer.

JuliusBorisovkaja8AerakarIamdorf
  • WhiteheartWhiteheart Member Posts: 6
    kaja8 wrote: »

I know this is PROBABLY way too late to be of any use, but I was just browsing the forums and felt compelled to give my 2 cents...

1. Pale Justice (the paladin sword) is a long sword. There is also a helmet that is really awesome that can only be used by halflings/gnomes. I believe there is also a pretty nice belt (Blur Belt, I think it's called) that can only be used by a good aligned character. There are a couple bard only items and a few monk only items. There are also a couple items, including a set of armor, a ring, and a cowl (helmet) that can only be used by a thief or thief multiclass.
    2. I personally REALLY like the Ranger/Cleric option, and as far as I know it works as intended... To be honest, I'm not really sure what you mean by "fixed", I wasn't aware it was ever broken.
    3. There are lots of longswords, and some interesting scimitars, some very nice morning stars and flails. Unfortunately, IWD uses random loot so not all of the items are found in each game. One thing I would definitely suggest though is try to have someone skilled with axes. There are some really nice ones and I always forget about them when making my characters then find myself disappointed when I inevitably sell them all later.
    4. As far as the C/T, I imagine you could make it work if you were determined. It might be a fun game. I think with that party I personally might try the Paladin, Dwarven Defender, Bard, Sorcerer, Ranger/Cleric, Fighter/Thief. Going this route gives your R/C the access to the Druid spell list (from the Ranger), and the classes synergize well. In addition, the F/T makes a really good archer and all around utility character.
  • kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 52
    The advice came unfortunately a bit too late but I'll take it into account on my next run. Thanks!

By "fixing" the ranger/cleric I meant if it was nerfed the same way it was in BG, i.e., you don't get druid spells to lvl 7 anymore.