Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

A few questions before starting

kaja8kaja8 Member Posts: 7
The last time I played IWD was probably 15years ago so I forgot almost everything about it.
I would like to ask a few questions before I start my run, so it would be great if you could help me.

1. What are some class/alignment/race specific items I should prepare for, e.g. I remember there was a paladin sword but I don't remember if it was a long/bastard/2handsword etc.
2. Is the ranger/cleric class "fixed" as it is in BG2?
3. Are there any must have weapons I should plan beforehand for?
4. Is a cleric/thief enough divine power for a party? I'm not sure, can I dual a thief into a cleric? Is it something I should even consider?
I was planing to have a paladin, dwarven defender, bard, sorcerer and ranger, which means I would need to make a C/T. I never played with one of those, so I'm not exactly sure it's feasible.

JuliusBorisov

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 231
    The so-called "paladin sword" is a Longsword, although arguably there's another Longsword you get near the end of the game that's even better.

I remember there not being many good quarterstaves or blunt weapons in the game, so chances are you'll probably be using a lot of the unnamed "+2 Morning Star of Defending" type weapons a la Diablo-style that you find as random loot along the way.

kaja8JuliusBorisov
  • DaevelonDaevelon Member Posts: 519
    kaja8 wrote: »
    The last time I played IWD was probably 15years ago so I forgot almost everything about it.
    I would like to ask a few questions before I start my run, so it would be great if you could help me.

1. What are some class/alignment/race specific items I should prepare for, e.g. I remember there was a paladin sword but I don't remember if it was a long/bastard/2handsword etc.
    2. Is the ranger/cleric class "fixed" as it is in BG2?
    3. Are there any must have weapons I should plan beforehand for?
    4. Is a cleric/thief enough divine power for a party? I'm not sure, can I dual a thief into a cleric? Is it something I should even consider?
    I was planing to have a paladin, dwarven defender, bard, sorcerer and ranger, which means I would need to make a C/T. I never played with one of those, so I'm not exactly sure it's feasible.

1. As already said the paladin sword is a long sword.
    2. I'm pretty sure it is
    3. Longswords rock. Very common and very powerful, the best (probably) one it's not class/alignment/race specific. Morning star/flails are great too, even better in some cases if you think that Crushing damage is way better than slashing damage. Long Bows are the best for ranged fights. A couple of must-have weapons are not so obvious to obtain, involving killing innocent people, it means your paladin and ranger may fall. Remember that in IWD it's impossible to raise reputation (if 8 or higher), and the temple only can bring it to 8 maximum.
    Long Bow +4: Hammer - kill Emmerich Hawk, no pickpocket option
    Morning Star +4: Defender - findable as random loot in specific point, it's obtainable for sure by killing Quinn Silverfinger and Harald
    4. I would suggest you to biclass from a thief to a cleric (maybe level 7 is enough, and it gets Evasion). Thieves are not so needed in IWD except for traps and locks, backstab is not exceptional as in BG. You will prefere an almost pure cleric for Turn Undead (more than half of the enemies are undead).

For the ranger i think the best is to specialize as archer.

JuliusBorisovkaja8Aerakar