Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition has been released! Visit nwn.beamdog.com to make an order. NWN:EE FAQ is available.
Soundtracks for BG:EE, SoD, BG2:EE, IWD:EE, PST:EE are now available in the Beamdog store.
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

NPC Recruitment Level

I've never been too concerned about what level NPCs are when I recruit them as usually I get a complete party early on, but I'm going for a play through where I want to recruit Coran to fill in for Imoen when she dual classes.

What are the rules that govern what level an NPC is, in particular Coran? As far as I know, he can be anywhere between 3/3 and 5/5 when you meet him but I'm guessing that it is going to be difficult to reach him early enough for him to be 3/3.

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 177
    A recent version of the game makes it largely irrelevant to get npcs early. In Coran’s case if he is to be 5/5 when you reach him he will be 3/3 but have the xp to instantly level up to 5/5. So you can choose any thieving abilities and proficiencies between the two levels. Weirdly for Coran and Yeslick I recall it used to be better to get them at the higher level as they had more hp than was possible for the level. All this said it is perfectly possible to get Coran at 3/3 by rushing the mines and bandit camp and I have done so before (on a rush for Alora)

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 177
    http://www.forgottenwars.com/bg1/good.htm

I used to use this guide to work out what level npcs will be when they join depending on the pcs. It looks like only the 3/3 Coran had the illegal hp

• PingwinPingwin Member Posts: 181
    ilduderino wrote: »
    A recent version of the game makes it largely irrelevant to get npcs early. In Coran’s case if he is to be 5/5 when you reach him he will be 3/3 but have the xp to instantly level up to 5/5. So you can choose any thieving abilities and proficiencies between the two levels. Weirdly for Coran and Yeslick I recall it used to be better to get them at the higher level as they had more hp than was possible for the level. All this said it is perfectly possible to get Coran at 3/3 by rushing the mines and bandit camp and I have done so before (on a rush for Alora)

True, but it feels somewhat cheesy to get Coran and then reallocate all of his thief skill points to make him the ideal thief from the start. Prefer to make the game harder for myself by giving him the poor skill allocation that he used to start with before the latest version that you that extra control.

• BalladBallad Member Posts: 172
    Also, keep in mind that the BG1 NPC project mod had a component for opening the Cloakwood (minus the mine) in Chapter 1, meaning you could pick up Coran as early as level 1.

leeux
  • leeuxleeux Member Posts: 74
    Ballad wrote: »
    Also, keep in mind that the BG1 NPC project mod had a component for opening the Cloakwood (minus the mine) in Chapter 1, meaning you could pick up Coran as early as level 1.

I was going to suggest that too, but then I remembered that Coran has a timed quest, so you're kind of forced to do the Wyvern thing too else he will leave, which could be a little difficult for a low level party (at least, I think so... honestly, never tried, though.)