Skip to content

D&D Kingdom Simulator: A Suggestion

Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
Have the Beamdog staff ever heard of this title?:
https://www.gog.com/game/dd_stronghold_kingdom_simulator

It's extremely difficult to play due to the ultra low resolution.
Nonetheless I like it a lot despite its extreme difficulty.

I'd love to see a strategy/tactical game of some kind by Beamdog using D&D ruleset(s).
the large battle at the crusader camp in Dragonspear's Chapter 9 has made me CRAVE big battles with my own armies, trained and equipped by me and my court, but with AI autonomy, full or partial.

I mean REALLY CRAVE it. It's an interesting concept that D&D rules lend themselves well to, having different heroes and grunts based on the various classes in large battles, perhaps sending parties off on quests to find ancient but powerful artifacts and equipment, a risk but with large potential payoff for battles against other kingdoms, or perhaps defending against marauding hordes of barbarians or monsters. Perhaps the endgame goal is to have your kingdom prepared for a final apocalyptic battle... judgement day or sorts. Victory secures your line and brings unprecedented prosperity... defeat, ruin and shame. Perhaps the fate of the world is a stake, like in the Rage of Dragons novels by Richard Byers (Forgotten Realms trilogy).

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    The closest thing to Kingdom Simulator (which also uses D&D rules) is probably Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Althrough it falls short on the controlling real armies front. That game focuses more on small elite troops rather than large amounts of soldiers.

Not really sure if that is the route Beamdog wants to go in the future. Although I could possible see something akin to a Axis & Allies cRPG from them. Or at least if Axis & Allies: Online prooves to be successful down the line. Such an theoretical title could make use of similar features to Kingdom Simulator.
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2019
    The closest thing to Kingdom Simulator (which also uses D&D rules) is probably Pathfinder: Kingmaker. Althrough it falls short on the controlling real armies front. That game focuses more on small elite troops rather than large amounts of soldiers.

Not really sure if that is the route Beamdog wants to go in the future. Although I could possible see something akin to a Axis & Allies cRPG from them. Or at least if Axis & Allies: Online prooves to be successful down the line. Such an theoretical title could make use of similar features to Kingdom Simulator.

Inasmuch as I want Beamdog to succeed, I'm not interested in their AAA (Axis and Allies) game, especially if it's an mmo. I'd really like to see D&D or their own new IP content which is medieval fantasy. They brought me here by remastering the classics and providing new support and improvements.

I will play Pathfinder Kingmaker. I just don't know when.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    There was the old Civ4 mod, Fall From Heaven that provided lots of fantasy races. I loved creating massive cities that just exploded population for vampires to feed off of.
  • Sar_YehudahSar_Yehudah Member Posts: 135
    There was the old Civ4 mod, Fall From Heaven that provided lots of fantasy races. I loved creating massive cities that just exploded population for vampires to feed off of.

hmmm. the last civ i played was Beyond. I never played 4. 3 is unplayable due to AI which is unbeatable. 5 has actually good combat which allows you to flank properly, same with Beyond. They abandoned Beyond and went to 6, which frustrated me since I liked Beyond a lot.

That being said, that isn't what I have it mind. There's many fantasy grand strategy / 4x games out there. (@DrHappyAngry FWI AoW 3 is available for free on steam if you get it now.)
    Anyway, what I have in mind is more akin (tho still possibly far from it) Ogre Battle 64. Even then, D&D Kingdom Simulator on GoG is probably the closest thing in mind. The other, much simpler idea, is just a standard Infinity Engine D&D campaign but with a lot of big, pitched battles, like the one in the crusader camp.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Ya, I know it's not exactly what you mentioned, just thought I'd throw it out there, since I had a lot of fun with it back in the day, and it's fantasty style kingdoms and armies.

I've actually got AoW3, but it's just not my thing.