Skip to content

Can't host a multiplayer session, friends can't connect to my game

YuriPRIMEYuriPRIME Member Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Technical Support
One of the reasons why I bought Neverwinter Nights Enhanced Edition was the premise of coop multiplayer, which I enjoyed in Baldur's Gate series and Icewind Dale, it was in fact the most crucial reason, since the hassle of installing third party VLAN software and their janky support really got on my nerves. Because BG:EE works so well in multiplayer, I was eager to try it over here.

Whereas connecting to a game was as simple as a click in Baldur's Gate, the Enhanced Edition Neverwinter nights just won't work whatsoever. On hosting a game my friends try to connect and they get a message which says:
Direct connect and UDP hole punching has failed
Requesting relay token

in some cases the token was received, in others it failed, but no matter what happens here, The Connection to the server has failed
naklerqbw4zf.png
The text above is in Polish, fyi.

Anyway, I've researched the topic extensively, what I did was obviously forwarding ports from 5120 to the last available. I've tried UDP ports alone, and both UDP and TCP, I've even tried opening DMZ (just for the test!) to my PC, just to see it it works or if anyone can connect at all. No results, it's still the same. I tried altering nwnplayer.ini and set a static port and forwarding just that one (5121) - no effect.
I'm at my wits end, have no idea what causes the issue and am quite annoyed with the fact the smooth multiplayer experience, the main and core reason I bought Ehnanced Edition for, does not work at all. I could just as well be stuck with diamond edition :/

What the heck is going on with this game? What's the issue? I've never had problem hosting a game online via steam for other players, we regularly play BG, including some people who connect with GoG version. Oh and yes, I have deactivated firewall, I have tried adding exceptions and rules... No effect.
My friends can't connect to me, and I cannot connect to my friends, for exactly same reason. When a colleague of mine hosts a multiplayer session and I try to connect to him, exactly the same message pops up. Tested it with few other people, all own Steam version.
Post edited by YuriPRIME on

Comments

• _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    Did you manage to solve this issue? I have the same problem.....
    @niv , @Shaiden
    i5ylz5ze23ws.png
  • YuriPRIMEYuriPRIME Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2019
    Yes and No
    Luke93 wrote: »
    Did you manage to solve this issue? I have the same problem.....
    @niv , @Shaiden
    i5ylz5ze23ws.png

Yes and No. I found a workaround, which is basically using third party software to create a virtual lan, it's called ZeroTier (zerotier.com) - it's basically something like free open sourced hamachi.
    They way it works for us, is that we all have this app installed, all are connected to one network and we host LAN games, while other players connect to my virtual lan IP address.
    Sad part is: tunneling is actually possible, and works fine... but not the way Beamdog implemented it in Enhanced Edition.
    Oh yeah, In few days it'll be month since I wrote tech support with exactly same problem explained as above. Still no response. How am I able to establish connection between peers with open source third party software, but this company can't help the customer out is beyond me.