Skip to content

IWDEE, CRE, and Familiars...

Vorpal_SpoonVorpal_Spoon Member Posts: 8
Hello Beamdog community, this is my first time signing in and my very first question. Forgive me if this is supposed to be in the category for modding (as I wasn't really sure which one to choose for my questions).

I have been using EE Keeper to tweak some things in game. My magic user has a familiar that I wanted to tweak. So I opened the CRE file and found the creature (prefix tag was labeled "FAM___.cre"). I was able to make changes and save it. However, after loading the game I found that the changes to his familiar were not present. So I tried different methods to see if I could get the newly tweaked familiar to appear, such as sleeping at an inn hoping it would refresh the new spell added: no dice. Tried using CTRL+Y and recasting Find Familiar: no dice.

I was assuming before all of this that changing and saving a CRE file would update that file when loading the game. And I also understand that obviously the familiar, while in your party, isn't "IN" your party (as in when you load your Open Saved Games, your charnames are present to edit in game but not your familiar).

So my question is "how"? How am I able to edit a familiar in game and load the new creature appropriately. In warning, I have to state that I am a real novice when it comes to programming and code, so please speak to me like an elementary kid booting up Oregan Trail for the first time. Thank you for any and all advice.

Comments

• Vorpal_SpoonVorpal_Spoon Member Posts: 8
    I was able to resolve this problem (and a few others related to tweaking familiar pets "properly") with some guidance and experimentation. I posted the same questions on the Icewind Dale discussion selection to anybody interested or having a similar issue,