Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Dark Dreams of Furiae - a new module for NWN:EE! Buy now
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

How Many "Days" In Game is Your Record?

Ya know, I've always been one to try to keep elapsed time short in game... but during this playthrough of BG:EE, I've wasted a lot of time wandering back and forth and sleeping too much. I think I just hit 700+ days. I'm curious what's the most time you've ever spent moseying your way to Saervok.

Comments

• ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 749
    I don’t think I’ve ever run to over a year so you beat me - isn’t it lucky how you still arrive at Sarevok’s coronation at just the right time?!

HaHaCharadelolien
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,593
    edited July 2019
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I don’t think I’ve ever run to over a year so you beat me - isn’t it lucky how you still arrive at Sarevok’s coronation at just the right time?!

Yep... Hey I figure it takes time for this crap to go down. Better 2 years than 2 months, right?

• Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 214
    I like to play as if there is some urgency also, not resting until fatigued or casters low on spells most of the time. Always full parties of 6. Occasionally I'll travel "inefficiently" if I want to run down a timer. Most of my games finish around the 90 - 100 day mark but the longest was 130 days IIRC.

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,782
    it looks like party size determines how long it takes for me to get to Sarevok

i had a two man team there in 90 or so days

i have a 6 man team that was a gold piece run at 723 000 gold for 194 days

i think the most i have ever had for a BG 1 run was around 450 days, and that was using cheats to grow up levels when i had a level cap remover like 15 years ago

in SoA i had the days go into the 10s of 1000s because i turned rest until healed on and with shadow keeper i had just over 32 000 HP and was brought back down to a couple of HPs and so you literally go into comas to regain all those HP

sometimes when i play IWD i will get over 1000 days for a play through because my "cleric" is growing up in fighter levels first

ah, comas, the best way to gain your HP back haha

lolien
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 214
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    Ah very true. I never use rest until healed because it is "unrealistic" so that keeps my days count lower. Rested 90 consecutive hours in Firewine Ruin and naturally healed critical injuries, yeah right. Breaks the fourth wall for me so I can't do it. Should be an interruption check every 8 hours.

I used to see other players screenshots with massive counts and think pfft, stop rest spamming and learn to play the game properly. I actually thought they were buffing up for every hobgoblin fight and resting to get their buffs back for the worg pack round the corner. In reality they probably had no cleric or loaded up on command spells because "rest until healed", makes perfect sense.

loliensarevok57
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,593
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    Ah very true. I never use rest until healed because it is "unrealistic" so that keeps my days count lower. Rested 90 consecutive hours in Firewine Ruin and naturally healed critical injuries, yeah right. Breaks the fourth wall for me so I can't do it. Should be an interruption check every 8 hours.

I used to see other players screenshots with massive counts and think pfft, stop rest spamming and learn to play the game properly. I actually thought they were buffing up for every hobgoblin fight and resting to get their buffs back for the worg pack round the corner. In reality they probably had no cleric or loaded up on command spells because "rest until healed", makes perfect sense.

I also don't try to break the fourth wall, but I just travel a lot... Seems to eat up time. I rest when I'm tired. but never for consecutive days.

• OcelotOcelot Member Posts: 13
    In BG I usually log around 150 days. My record is 198.

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 1,891
    I don't think I've kept everything, but I do have a good number of final saves going back to 2019 when I first installed SCS. Eleven of them, although two are essentially duplicates of each other - it looks like I replayed a short segment at the very end.

My four longest runs are games I didn't document on the forum, with the longest ending just before midnight on day 205. What did I do to drag it out that time? I rested repeatedly at the farm for the ankheg spawns, so that I could complete Imoen's level 6 dual before the Nashkel mines.
    The shortest is my run "The Dukes Get Off Their Butts", which ended before day 30. For roleplaying reasons, that party barely strayed off the main quest's path. They didn't even visit the gnoll fortress.
    The rest are all within a 30-day range, from a little under 160 to a little under 190. That's what playing completionist-style does, including that long trip on a boat.
    In reality they probably had no cleric or loaded up on command spells because "rest until healed", makes perfect sense.
    Hah. My run in which I didn't allow either arcane or divine spellcasting only lasted 175 days. Basically average by my standards.

• PokotaPokota Member Posts: 819
    edited July 22
    with liberal use of story mode and ctrl-J, I'm raiding the Iron Throne tower by day 14 (got to day 13 before I even had to rest thanks to 18 CON) and that's after losing a bunch of time travelling via wilderness connectors trying and failing to find Brage before hitting Nashkel. A proper IGT run should be about a month?

EDIT: Yeah, it's possible to finish within two weeks, but you aren't resting if you do that. I'd say 30 days for a "proper" IGT run.

Post edited by Pokota on
    edited July 23
    IGT? What does that acronym stand for? (Oh, right, must be "In-Game Time")

My 30-day run ... there was definitely some travel that wasn't strictly needed. A detour to the Friendly Arm to talk to Jaheira rather than heading straight south to Nashkel. Exiting the Nashkel mines from the bottom instead of the top, adding travel distance from the tombs. Clearing out threats near Beregost while waiting for our commissioned ankheg plate to be finished. Back and forth for Tenya's quest. Visiting the zombie farm. A shopping trip to Ulgoth's Beard.
    Take those out ... I think you end up around 20 days. That's with an overpowered party so leveling isn't a concern and nothing is a real challenge, but sufficient rest. They had high levels, not high constitution.

Post edited by jmerry on
    edited July 23
    this has got me wanting to do a "proper" story mode speedrun, both igt and rta (I believe Story Mode is disallowed for BG1 world records), to see what the limit would be. It's too bad Cloakwood eats up so much travel time, you could get your revenge within a week without the CW mines. Where's that world map mod that puts names and travel times on all the regions?

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,782
    Pokota wrote: »
    this has got me wanting to do a "proper" story mode speedrun, both igt and rta (I believe Story Mode is disallowed for BG1 world records), to see what the limit would be. It's too bad Cloakwood eats up so much travel time, you could get your revenge within a week without the CW mines. Where's that world map mod that puts names and travel times on all the regions?

story mode speed runs are great with a barbarian dual wielding scimitiars;

rush and kill drizzt, grab and use goodies

rush through game areas only that are needed

make sure to grab those sexy boots of speed in cloakwood so you are super fast

and you can beat the game in like 30-40 minutes no sweat

So, thinking about minimum in-game time ... I finally figured out where the travel info is in the game files (all on the .wmp world map) and collected it.

Here is the path of absolute minimum possible travel time in BGEE (assuming no sequence-breaking) for the main quests:

Exit Candlekeep with Gorion: time advances to midnight, then 7 AM. 24 hours after the start, and activity in Candlekeep is basically free. Incidentally, game time starts at 2100; it's counting from midnight of day zero, 300 to the hour.
    Travel east, then south along the roads to Nashkel. 28 hours travel time.
    Go east or south from Nashkel to the mines, and head down to confront Mulahey. Head up through the entrance you came in, then back north to Nashkel. 8 hours travel time.
    Head north along the roads to the Friendly Arm Inn, stopping either in Beregost to deal with Tranzig or at the Coast Way crossing to interrogate Deke so that the bandit camp is revealed. 24 hours travel time.
    Head east to Peldvale, then north to the bandit camp. 28 hours travel time.
    Head west to the fishing village/ankheg farm, then south to the Friendly Arm. 12 hours travel time.
    Head south to the first Cloakwood area, west to the second, north to the third, east to the fourth, and south to the mine. 60 hours travel time.
    Go down the mine, then come back up and return to the Friendly Arm. 68 hours travel time.
    Head north along the road to Wyrm's Crossing and enter Baldur's Gate. 8 hours travel time.
    Do quests for the Flaming Fist until Duke Eltan is ready to send you back to Candlekeep. 24 hours travel time.
    Go through the Candlekeep quests, then return to the big city. 28 hours travel time.
    Complete the endgame. No more travel time.

Total ... that's 312 hours travel time. 13 days, plus whatever time it takes to actually do the key quests.

Some shortcut notes ...
    In general, travel along the roads is much faster than off-road travel. While Brage will teleport you to Nashkel instantly if you solve his riddle, it takes 40 hours to reach him from the Lion's Way if you take the shortest possible path, 12 hours more than just following the roads.
    Reaching the bandit camp is another interesting one with divergent choices. Making a deal with Teven or Raiken is not a shortcut; their cutscenes include the travel time you would have spent anyway plus an axtra hour. The shortest link to the camp is east from the fishing village/ankheg farm, but that's a fake link; the east edge of that map is not enabled for travel. If it were real, it would shave off twelve hours. As it is, entering the forest is necessary, and the best option is to do so for only Peldvale.
    The Cloakwood links are weird; there are two spots on the way in in which there are multiple links between maps of different lengths. The southern edge of the Friendly Arm map gets you into the Cloakwood four hours faster than the western edge, and the western edge of the first Cloakwood area gets you to the second four hours faster than the northern or southern edges.

sarevok57Balrog99Pokota
    Most of why I was going for Brage is because the "Two-handed Sword, Cursed Berserking +3" is a solid asset that happens to be compatible with the Cloakwood Boots of Speed (I wound up using Spider's Bane for the story mode run since I had gotten lost coastwise looking for Brage)

And yeah, following the major roads is definitely faster - if you use the Brage Warp, you have to manually follow the roads back out of Nashkel to Beregost anyway.