Skip to content

Thief Skills Points

Where should I put my skill points? I know trap is an essential one but I'm unsure where to put the rest. Any tips would be welcome.

Comments

• ElysianEchoesElysianEchoes Member Posts: 475
    Are you playing with a kit? Do you have an idea what you want your thief to do?

Usually, I max Find Trap first, to 100. Does not need to be more than 100.

After that:

Looter: 100 to open lock. This function can also be filled by a mage with the knock spell, to an extent, if you're more interested in other roles.

Trapper: 100 to set traps. Pairs well with scout/backstabber role. You can find where enemies are, go out of sight, set traps, then lure enemies into them.

Scout/backstabber: points in Hide in Shadows and Move Silently until you hide consistently enough not to be annoyed with failed attempts. In my experience 100 in each is fine, since you won't be outdoor much. Find enemies before they find you, and pick one to take out before bringing in your party.

Illusion Dispeller: 100 in find illusion. Knock out many invisibility based enemy buffs for free, without casting high level divinations with other party members. Not that useful in IWD, in my opinion.

Pick Pocket: depends on how much you mind reloading or drinking thievery potions. I'm not that knowledgeable about picking pockets, but the more you pump this, the more convenience you'll enjoy.

So, I recommend starting with 100 Find Traps then picking the next thing you want the thief to do, and so on. Eventually, any thief gets enough points for most of these roles.

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Detect Illusion is the one that can definitely be left till last, IMO. It only functions while your Thief is detecting traps, which means that it doesn't function in combat (since your Thief won't be detecting traps while attacking). You're better off simply having your Cleric cast True Sight before the battle starts.

Pick Pockets is also one that isn't that important in IWD. There ARE some targets you can steal from (notably a certain Druid in Kuldahar), but there aren't really enough PP targets to really make the skill worthwhile, IMO.
  • GonzoGonzo Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the help you guys!
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    If you have a bard in the group you don't even need to go to 100. If he/she sings Tymora's Melody you get a bonus 10% to thief skills. Take pick locks, set traps & find traps to 90 and use that extra 30% in stealth or detect illusion.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Also, because thief points are less useful here than in BG/BG2, it wouldn't be a bad idea to go with a fighter/thief, illusionist/thief, or fighter/mage/thief rather than a singleclassed character.